Chapter 9 - Fatigued

Ellies POV

It's officially been two days since I left Joel, and I am sore.

My entire body aches since I've been walking for so long. Not to mention without Joel it's hard for me to not eat my whole supply of food.

It's times like these when I miss being hungry all the time since I was used to eating til I was full for months, now I'm in agony.

I wonder if Joel's looking for me, he probably is. I hope he dies in the process if he is on the lookout.

That's morbid I can't say that, but I wish he could suffer the fate Marlene had to because of him.

I pack up my supplies and carry on towards Salt Lake City, I think I have a good four days left of a trip, lucky for me I have a photogenic memory so I know exactly where I'm going, we studied this path for the entirety of the car ride to Tommy's dam.

I've stuck to walking alongside the road because the forest is too dangerous, there are too many possible outcomes that could all end negatively.

I hear the sounds of screams coming from inside of the forest so I duck down behind a rock.

"Fuck" I mutter, I pull out my handgun and hold it close to my chest, it's the sound of runners and by the sound of it, a lot of them.

I could try and run in the other direction but I highly doubt that I would make it out alive.

I glance up over the rock and I see at least four runners walking around the edge of the forest, I duck back down and try to think of a plan.

I check my gun to see it's completely loaded, I know that I'm a good shot because I've had a lot of practice, so I think I can do it.

I stand up and shoot two of them in the head before they rest start running towards me, I pick up a stone next to me and chuck it at the female, while the male continues running at me at an incredibly fast pace.

I step to the side and trip him, he faces plants into the ground and lands on a large rock which lodges itself into his brain killing him.

I walk over to the female who's still on the ground trying to get up and I step on her head killing her as well.

"Still got it" I mutter before tucking my gun into the waistband of my jeans and walking back down the freeway.

I know that I hate Joel right now, and I hate what he's done, but I miss him so much that it physically hurts.

He was my rock, my survivor, the one who's protected me throughout our whole journey. I know that he would never do anything to hurt me, but I can't forgive his actions no matter how much my heart wants me to.

I know that once I get to Salt Lake City I'll never see Joel again and I hate that feeling, he's the love of my life, I know that we were meant to find each other, but I can't afford to think like that anymore.