Chapter 12 - Panicked

I wake up on a cement floor, I blink multiple times trying to remember what happened but my mind blanks, I look up and see that I'm in a jail cell.

I sit up faster than I've ever moved.

I'm in David's cell... the creepy man from last winter, he's found me again.

I run over to the cell door and pull on it with all of my strength trying to open it, it won't even budge.

I look behind me and see a closed window, I run over to it and bang on it.

"HELP!" I scream at the top of my lungs, hot tears stream down my face, fear is all I feel as my hands become bruised from banging on the window so hard.

"SOMEONE PLEASE GET ME OUT OF HERE!" I scream.

I feel something in my throat tear but that doesn't stop me, I continue to scream at the top of my lungs.

There's a brick laying on the ground so I pick it up and throw it at the window but it doesn't even break.

The front door of the building I'm in swings open and four guys come rushing in, he's in front of them... David is right in front of me.

"GET AWAY FROM ME YOU SICK FUCK!" I scream and push myself to the end of my cell far away from him.

"Jesus shut the fuck up!" the man yells.

He walks up to my cell door and I finally get a good look at him, it's not David.

I blink rapidly but I still see this random fat man in front of me, I guess I was just paranoid and had hallucinations of David.

I'm out of breath from screaming so much so I take a second to calm down before wiping away my tears and straightening up.

"Who are you?" I ask, "I'm Ron, you walked into my territory and everyone in these parts know that you don't do that," he says.

I scoff annoyed, "I'm not from around here, I was making my way to Salt Lake City" I explain, Ron, crosses his arms over his chest and squints his eyes at me.

"What for?" he asks, "Business" I reply calmly, he laughs as he looks at the guys behind me.

"You sound unsure about that but it's not any of my business," he says.

"Flynn, bring the girl some food" Ron instructs some kid, Flynn nods and leaves the room.

"Why don't you just let me go?" I ask, Ron laughs rather loudly "Let you go?" he repeats.

"Honey once you're here you don't leave," he says, my heart sinks "Excuse me?" I ask in a quiet voice.

"You're a hostage, we can't just let you leave, you'll get your town to come back and attack us and we don't need that," he says.

"What if they're already on their way?" I ask, his face turns serious and he takes a step towards me "Then we'll have to kill you" he says with a deadpan expression on his face.

Just at that moment, Flynn walks in with my food, he looks between us awkwardly, "Give it to her and then get back to work" Ron orders, he and his friends leave and shut the door behind him.

Flynn stands there for a few moments before opening my cell door and closing it behind him making sure it's locked.

"Uh I didn't know what kind of food you liked so I made a sub and there was some leftover mac and cheese and I found some crackers-" he stops rambling and looks down clearly embarrassed.

"Sorry, I tend to ramble too much... here" he says, he hesitantly takes a step towards me and hands me the tray of food.

I take it with a small smile on my face and sit down with my back against the wall, I've had mac and cheese once in my life so I take a bite out of that first, it's very good.

"Mmm" I nod and look up at him, "that's good," I say, he blushes and scratches the back of his head.

"Thanks uh the lady who runs the cafeteria makes it and she's very good at baking and cooking."

We sit in awkward silence as I munch quietly on my food and reflect on today's events.

When I finish all of my food I stand up and hand him back the tray, "Thanks for the meal" I say, he takes the tray and nods.

"Sure, I'll uh, see you tomorrow," he says and starts to exit my cell.

"Wait, Flynn?" I ask, he turns back and hums in response.

"Do you know what they plan to do to me?" I ask, he doesn't say anything as he stares at the tray in his hands.

"I've heard different things, so it's not decided yet," he says, I nod and look down at the ground, I think deep down he knows that they want to kill me, he just doesn't seem to have the heart to tell me.

He opens my cell and locks it back and makes it to the front door before stopping, "Can I ask what your name is? Since you know mine" he says.

"Ellie," I say quietly, he smiles and walks back over to me with his arm outstretched, "Nice to meet you, Ellie," he says.

I stand there staring at him before finally walking over and shaking his hand, "Nice to meet you, Flynn."

He walks back over to the door and opens it and walks out.

The door shuts behind him and I'm left alone again.

I don't know why Flynn was so nice to me, maybe he just feels bad because he knows that they'll probably kill me.

God, how the hell am I supposed to get out of here?

Joel might be able to find me, he's done it before, but I'm MILES away from him so I doubt he'll be able to find me, hell I don't even know where I am.

I look out the window and just see one house and a couple of trees, no help at all.

I sigh out in annoyance and slump down against the wall, dammit Ellie, why did you get yourself into this?