Chapter 19 - Downfall

It takes everyone a moment to register what just happened, so I use that to my advantage and jump to my feet and pull Joel behind the nearest tree.

I take a deep breath before peeking around and shooting the first guy I see.

They all starting shooting at the tree we're standing behind before dashing for cover.

"That was brave," Joel says, he pulls out his gun and shoots the idiot with part of his head sticking out.

"It was, wasn't it?" I grin, I look out behind the tree and wait for someone to look up when they do I shoot them in the head.

After a couple of minutes, we've killed everyone.

I walk out and assess the scene, I'm pretty sure we got everyone.

"God I missed you" Joel mutters before kissing me.

"We make a good team" I laugh, Joel nods and kisses my forehead, "C'mon, we need to get the hell out of here."

I look back at Flynn and see his terrified eyes looking up at the sky, "Give me a minute" I say.

"I'll wait over there" Joel mumbles, I nod not really paying attention and I walk over to Flynn's dead body.

I kneel down next to him, my bottom lip trembles as I try to stop the tears that start to fall down my face.

"I'm sorry this happened to you" I whisper, I close his eyes and then reach for his hand.

"Thank you, for everything that you've done for me" I whisper, I lean down and leave a kiss on his cheek.

I wrap my arms around him and cry into his shoulder before I decide that I need to get up.

I wipe away my tears and return to Joel, "Let's go" I say.

We walk towards the entrance but the sounds of screaming stops us, Joel holds out his arm for me to stop.

"What do you think it is?" I ask, "Runners" Joel mutters.

He points to the center of town, it's far away but I can make out the dead bodies, and the runners feeding off of them.

"We have to get out, right now," he says, he grabs my hand and helps me over the gate, there's barbed wire