Chapter 6 - Sufferance

I know I can't stay here, I couldn't stay with Maria because then I'd have to explain what was happening.

I don't even want to breathe the same air as Joel right now anyway, what he did was monstrous, how could I ever forgive him for something like that?

I knew something was fishy when he apologized, it didn't sound authentic, and for a while, he couldn't look me in my eyes.

Not to mention that he SWORE that he wasn't lying to me... but he was.

After everything I've done for him, after everything I've given up, just for him to lie to me after a whole year of bonding and trusting each other.

He was the last person I had left that I could count on, but now I have no one, absolutely no one.

I didn't take any clothes, and I don't have any supplies, I can't just steal from the town stash... can I?

I hear Joel calling after me so I run to the woods not far from our house, not incredibly safe, but I know I'll be fine... probably.

I decide that the best plan for me is to circle back to our house and pack a bag of clothes and food.

I hear Joel's voice getting closer to me so I start my run back to our house, which isn't long at all.

I bust in through the back door and run upstairs and grab my bookbag from the dresser beside our bed, my gun is in there and loaded fully with four extra clips all fully loaded, and the switchblade that I carry everywhere.

I pack two shirts and one other pair of jeans, luckily all of my clothes were washed yesterday.

I pack a toothbrush, hairbrush, another hair tie, three bottles of water, and 17 bags of trail mix, and 2 cans of fruit.

Yes, my bookbags pretty big so it can easily fit all of this.

There's a photo of Joel and I that we took as a "greeting card" as Tommy and Maria call it, I rip it up and leave it on the counter for Joel to see.

I grab my bookbag and take one look at our bedroom before running downstairs and towards the back door, but Joel beats me to it.

He walks in looking a complete mess and once his eyes find me he stops.

"Ellie," he says uncertain, he knows I'm going to try and run away.

He locks the door behind him and my heart starts to race, what's he going to do to me?

"Let me leave," I say in a cold tone, he shakes his head no and takes a step towards me.

"Ellie, baby, you know I can't do that. I can't let you go outside of Tommy's dam, you'll get killed without me" he says.

I'm offended that he said that first of all, I survived all of the winter without his help, who the hell does he think he is?

"I'm not leaving, I'm staying with Maria and Tommy until they can find me a place to live" I lie, Joel, frowns clearly not believing this lie.

"I'm not stupid," he says flatly, he takes another step towards me which makes me immediately step back.

He looks hurt by this simple action, but as of right now I'm terrified of him.

"I know that you think I was wrong to do what I did, but I don't regret it, and if you'll give me a chance to explain you might understand."

I let out a sarcastic laugh as I cross my arms over my chest, "You really think I'll understand? Are you fucking serious?" I ask.

Joel's eyes narrow and I watch as his hands ball so tight that his knuckles turn white.

"They were going to kill you, do you not understand??" he begins to yell.