Chapter 18 - Combat

Joel, Flynn, and I dart out of the prison and make our way to the storage room, we enter it with no problems, Flynn was right, everyone's in the center of town partying.

We walk to the back where they keep their victims' belongings, there were shelves full of them.

It's weird because I'm getting a strange sense of deja vu but I ignore it.

"Okay, grab them because we have to go" Flynn ushers us to hurry up, so we hurry and grab both of our backpacks.

I take my pistol out of my bag and tuck it into the back of my jeans.

"You dropped this a couple of miles back," Joel says, I look over and see he's holding something out to me.

"Oh my god" I mutter, he hands me my switchblade, I don't even remember dropping it, and I can't believe he found it.

"Thank you" I mumble with a smile, Riley would roll over in her grave if I had ever lost this for good since she was the one who gave it to me.

"We need to go" Flynn reminds us, "Right" I mutter.

I put my switchblade into my back pocket and follow Flynn out the back, he sneaks us over to the gate.

"All right there's an opening in this part of the gate, I just need to-" Flynn tries to tell us but were stopped by a loud whistle.

All of us stop breathing and turn around to see a group of guys all with guns.

One of them stands out to me, however.

James.

"I thought I killed you" I muttered, James smirks and takes a step toward me.

"You were close, guards found me near death and brought me back, can't say the same for David, however."

I shudder at the sound of David's name being uttered.

"He deserved what came to him" I spit.

James laughs and shrugs, "I mean, sure kid, whatever you say. He died and I became the new town leader, so I guess it all worked out in the end."

James looks as if he notices Flynn next to me for the first time.

"Flynn, what are you doing?" he asks with a deep scowl.

Flynn visibly shakes besides me but doesn't respond, like he doesn't know what to say.

"Were you helping them escape?" James asks.

Flynn, again, stands there unable to speak.

James hands the guy standing next to him his gun, then walks up to Flynn and punches him in his cheekbone.

"Hey!" I yell, "Shut it" one of the guys instructs, he cocks his gun at me.

Flynn whimpers out in pain and I find it hard to hold back, this boy has done everything to protect me and I'm just supposed to stand here as he's beaten to a pulp.

"What the hell were you thinking!?" James asks him, Flynn continues to say nothing so James just keeps on hitting him.

James pulls Flynn up by his collar and lifts him so he's eye level with him.

"Tell me why I shouldn't kill you, little brother?" James asks, fuck... they're related.

"J-James" Flynn mutters, he coughs up blood and tries to finish his sentence but he passes out and falls to the ground.

"You guys know what happens to people when they betray us," James says, the guy who's holding James' gun tosses it back to him.

James catches it and aims it at Flynn, "and you're not an exception, little brother."

James shoots Flynn straight between his eyes, and I scream out.

"NO!" I scream out, I rush over to Flynn but James kicks me in my stomach making me fall on my back.

"Sit down, bitch," he says.

He sighs like he's annoyed and tucks his gun into his gun holster.

"I hate that I had to do that" he sighs "but... oh well," he shrugs.

"You killed him in cold blood, you murdered him" I seethe in anger, "You're right, just like I'm going to kill you, and your protector over there."

James aims his gun at me and smirks.

"If only David were here for this, he wanted you dead. 6 feet under so you couldn't run that smartass mouth of yours" he almost seems excited to shoot me.

I sit up and slowly start to take the gun out of the waistband of my jeans, "and now there's nowhere for you to run, no way to escape" he grins.

He cocks his gun and aims it at my head.

"Any last words, bitch?" he asks, this time I smirk.

"Yeah, fuck you," I say before shooting him straight in his eye.