Regretful

"See? I told you that I wasn't a bully!" I yelled in victory. I had successfully convinced our principal to show me the tapes and we'd caught Cartney pinning me to the wall with threats, flipping me off, talking rubbish rumors about me, and purposely doing things to hurt me. We'd caught her doing the same things and worse to Paige, which made me gasp.

I never knew. Paige never told me. She'd always frame her bruises and cuts on outside activities and her tears as the aftermath of something like getting into a fight with her parents. She'd lied to me this whole time?

Cartney hung her head, not daring to look at our principal or anyone else. Is it bad that I honestly don't regret getting her in trouble? Maybe it was, but I guess she sort of deserves it.

"Well, Miss Smith, I believe that this is proof enough to have you expelled," Dr. Robinette said calmly, turning off the tapes. Paige  looked pleased, and Ash... I couldn't read Ash's expression. He was staring off into space, a pursed frown on his lips. I stood as still as a rock, a small smile spreading on my face.

"I'll go get my things," Cartney said quietly, tears welling up in her eyes. But she didn't cry, even as she walked past me and out the door. I waited for a moment, battling myself over what to do. My heart won.

"I am going to help her," I said abruptly before walking out the door. Guilt hit me like a punch in the gut as I followed a few yards behind Cartney . She was crying hard enough that she started to shake, but her sobs were silent. Memories of our three-year friendship drowned me.

"You don't have to follow me," Cartney called over her shoulder. Crap, she caught me. I jogged to catch up with her.

"Maybe I want to. I just wanted to say that... I'm sorry," I apologized.

"Sorry for what?"

"I didn't realise that you felt so strongly for Ash."

"I told you though!" She stopped and turned to look at me. Her eyes were red and her cheeks were tear streaked. Another pang of guilt slapped me across the face.

"I swear I didn't even know who Ash was until that day I ran into him," I said, putting my hands up in defeat.

Cartney sniffed and started walking again. "I don't understand how you didn't have a clue who he was," she laughed quietly, "I mean, he's only the most popular guy in this whole building." I followed her again, feeling a little better for getting her expelled. God, guilt, why are you so effective?

"W-why did you decide to leave our friend group?" I asked hesitantly as she opened her locker. It was decorated on the inside with a mirror, flower magnets, and pictures of her and her family. I felt so plain compared to her locker. Mine was only decorated with a single picture of Kate.

"Because I was afraid of getting bullied for being unpopular. I guess I was so afraid of it that I became the bully. I'm such a terrible person," she mumbled. I chuckled and helped her empty out her locker.

"Yes you are," I said sarcastically. She sniffled and smiled weakly at me.

"I guess that it, then," Cartney said, closing her newly empty locker and looking at me. I stepped forward for a goodbye hug, but she laughed haughtily and pushed me down, running away as soon as she did. I hit the floor and shook my head slowly.

I guess some people just can't and won't change.

************************************
Sorry for such a short chapter, there is a much better one coming up soon!

Any who, I believe that's all for this A/N