39 | Only a Facade of Gallantry

39 | ONLY A FACADE OF GALLANTRY

It is only after the king doubles over does Elliott begin to grasp the fact that something frightfully wrong is going on.  

    You see, she wasn't really there when this new wave of chaos initially struck. Elliott didn't catch the first tear cascade from Edmund's eye, nor did she pay attention to his hand - the same one he used to hit her with - when it first launched into a frenzied quiver along with his entire physique. 

    Prompted by the events that came before that, her mind was in the midst of shutting down instead.

    But, why?

    Well, mentally retreating just so happens to be Elliott's mean of sidestepping from the acrimonious reality and of stopping herself from plunging into hideous memories of her own. 

    What memories? You may question.

    You should know, there has only ever been one other individual to have slapped Elliott in her lifetime. 

    Yes, her mother. 

    And if you got that right, you should also remember that that lady has done umpteen other things to her daughter, many of which worse than just a simple smack on the cheek.

    But Elliott wasn't - and isn't - in the mood or the situation to dwell over any of that - not the flashbacks of her past year at home or the shock that came with the king's physical assault - hence explaining her zoning out.

    Yet, her daze did not last long, for, as mentioned, Edmund's collapse snapped her back to reality almost instantly.

    Hell, a fresh thought crosses her mind in the time she takes to comprehend the state of affairs, this is the second time my words have triggered the Just's overwhelming distress.

    The first was the time after the wolf-attack, if you recall.

    Oh bother, fate so graciously bestowed them with the destiny to meet. Just why do they have to shred the budding cordiality over and over with their impulsive mistakes and rash words?

    As Elliott's expressed, she's never meant to afflict the king. In fact, she hasn't managed to present the most critical clause of her argument to Edmund - the one about how she'd done what she's done because she hoped to save him from the Telmarines too. See, she's never meant to hurt anyone.

    That would have a guilt-tripping effect on the boy, she guesses. But nonetheless, the reason shall remain more valid than his flawed inferences of 'power' and 'avengement' as well as her excuse of 'returning to England' - in which she agrees does cast some light on her selfishness-

    But that's enough talk about her internal strife for this chapter.

    Perhaps she might reveal this last piece of her mind to Edmund some time later, or perhaps the two will never find the chance or will to bring it up again, but for now, this damsel has a kingly knight in distress to rescue.