Chapter 8: A Partner

After two days from the confession I made, me and Petra got along together. We grew attached.

And I'm happy. I felt love like never before. We would also go out for lunch sometimes.

Today, I am waiting outside the headquarters for the squad to come out because we were to be sent again outside the walls.

After a few more moments, they walked outside the headquarters, fully clothed.

Petra's looking pretty today...

I smiled at her and she gave a warm smile back. Gunther grabbed my hand and dragged me to my horse.

"C'mon Captain.", he said, trying not to tease me.

I let out a slight sigh and walked towards my horse and hop on it.

"Ey! Nice day going on eh Cap.?", Eld whispered at me.

"Tch. Shut up.", I replied.

I like that compliment deep inside...

We started the horses towards the gate. The others were waiting.

"Captain? Will we find out about the Colossal today?", Eren asked.

"It depends on how far our progress for today is.", I replied.

I took a deep breath and let it out, getting ready to continue. I waited for the gates to rise.

After a minute, the gate opened and all of us went ahead on the road outside the walls.

I looked behind me and saw my squadmates happy and enjoying their time, feeling the breeze of the wind as we dashed faster.

I smiled beneath my breath and looked back ahead.

I should smile often... It feels nice.

My smile turned back to a pocker face when I saw titans up ahead. I took my blades out and so did the others.

"Hey Captain. That's a lot of titans... Should I---", Eren's sentence got cut at my sudden reply.

"No.", I replied, knowing he will suggest himself turning into a titan. "Save that power for later when our life's in deep danger. For now, we fight normally."

He nodded and sighed. I hooked my wires at a titan's nape and cut it off along with the other titan napes that I got pass by.

I landed on the ground and let the others finish the remaining. I whistled for my horse and it came dashing at me. I hop on it and stayed in place, waiting or them.

Not for long, the swarm of titans were defeated. My squad went back on their horses and waited for my command.

The way we should head to is at north. But there are tons of titans there. At our left and right, there are also dwelling titans. I looked around and thougt of what way to go to.

Only in a minute, I decided that we go ahead at north. Going either right or left is a risk because we will still stumble into the titans at the north once we passed them.

As we were heading north, I already saw a lot of dead soldiers and some are crying for help while at a titan's grasp.

But there was nothing we could do. If you're still alive, carry on and don't turn back. That's our rule.

Before we can go further, a titan cae coming out of nowhere from our right. It was coming fast that we haven't got time to ready our blades.

It bent over and managed to catch one of my squadmate.

Petra!!!

I quickly hooked the wires behind me and boost my speed through the gas. Petra was defenseless without her blades. My other comrades weren't able to help her for their horses had went to a far distance from the titan.

I took out my blades as I got near to the titan's nape. I slashed it off and hooked my wires near to where Petra is and grabbed her, carrying her at my arms as the titan falls.

Her horse has gotten away with my other squadmates so I put her on my horse. I hop on the horse too and told her to hold tight.

She put her arms around me, holding tight and I started the horse. I went full speed to be able to catch up to the others.

"Sorry Captain. We weren't able to stop.", they said.

"That's fine. Is anyone else caught while we were gone?", I asked.

"No sir. Everything's fine.", they replied.

"Good."

We continued ahead and I forgot Petra was right at my back.

She feels warm...