Chapter 10: Are You One of Us?

The Beta Kai's sat around the basement common room of the Alpha Rho Omega on-campus Fraternity house enjoying a rare hour of downtime. Armin, Conny, Reiner, and Bert sat across a coffee table from each other playing Bullshit. Marlowe, Thomas, and Mike were quizzing each other on Pledge facts while Keith and Sam were sleeping on separate sofas. Chris, Neal, Joey, and Boris stood along the wall engrossed in a highly competative game of darts, which Chris insisted was paramount to improving their aim on the archery field.

Eren floated aimlessly between the groups, too keyed up to pay much attention to any of the conversations. He was making his fifth circle around the room when he caught the thread of Marco and Jean's conversation, secluded as they were, standing by the wall on the far side of the room.

"...I don't care Jean. I can't take it any more!"

"Dude, just please keep your voice down. It can't be long now. We've already been through so much. It's already worth it! Remember all the girls at the last mixer? Even as Pledges we have status..."

Marco huffed and narrowed his eyes at his best friend.

"That might be a good enough reason for you, but it isn't for me. I can't do anything right! Brother Hannes lectured me for 15 fucking minutes yesterday for getting his pledge class wrong. Then I got a strike for being late to class; that's going to effect my final grade, Jean! Whatever, if I depledged nobody would even notice. I'm like a ghost around here."

Jean's expression went back and forth between frustration and distress.

"That's bullshit Marco. Fine, quit then. But if you do, you're dead to me."

Jean whirled around and stormed off, slamming the bathroom door. Marco looked after him and bit his lip.

"Like I said, I'm already a ghost anyway..."

In Jean's rush he had bumped shoulders with Eren knocking him into Marco's path. Eren wasn't bothered. He knew Jean to be a decent guy, but when he was in a temper he was like a raging stallion. Best to stay out of his way until he calmed himself down.

"Hey, uh, Marco, can we talk for a minute?"

"What do you want, Yeager?"

"Well, it's just about what I overheard...sorry but, why do you want to depledge? I don't say this often and I'll deny it if you repeat it, but Jean's right. We've come so far already..."

Marco sighed again and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Why do you care what happens to me, Eren? Don't pretend you don't hate me."

Eren stared at him speechless, his eyes wide with confusion.

"What-what are you talking about?"

"Halloween? When I called you a...you know."

Eren averted his gaze. It was his turn to sigh. He walked forward slowly and turned around so he was leaning against the wall a few feet from Marco.

"If you want me to be totally honest, I haven't thought about it much. I knew when you apologized that it was genuine. People make stupid comments all the time. Good people don't do it again."

Eren shrugged.

"I know you're a good person Marco. You did me a favor at the Phi Nu mixer without asking for a reason. You covered for Sam with the brothers when his girlfriend visited and Reiner wouldn't have passed his Econ test without your flash cards."

Marco stared at Eren, shocked and blushing.

"I...y-you know...I just did what anyone would...have..."