Chapter 20: Just His Type

Eren walked down the hospital corridor, his sneakers squeaking against the freshly polished floor. He passed the lounge and nodded to the nurses within, who called out friendly greetings. Before Thanksgiving he had been on friendly terms with Levi's nurses, now he was on a first name basis with every nurse on the floor.
Eren smiled when he thought about Thanksgiving. His mother had somehow cooked an entire Thanksgiving dinner and set it up in chafing dishes in the hospital lounge. The entire ward had smelled delicious. His family (including a slightly grumpy Mikasa and his father, distracted as always) had sat together around Levi's hospital bed and eaten together. All the doctors and nurses who had had the misfortune of pulling the Thanksgiving shift had been greeted by a fully home cooked meal. It was something most of them were not likely to forget.
Eren scrolled through the list of medications that he had saved on his phone, which he had visited the nurse's station to update. Levi had been suffering from a fever on and off since Thursday afternoon. The doctors had yet to pinpoint the source of the infection and needed to adjust his other medications to give him the necessary antibiotics.
Being the son of a famous surgeon and a career nurse had put a lot of pressure on Eren to aspire to a profession in the medical field. When he rejected this idea out of hand, it had created a great deal of tension in the already strained relationship he had with his father. He shook his head when he considered the irony of the situation he was currently in. After having practically lived in the hospital this week, he had started to seriously consider choosing a medical major. Nursing may very well be his calling. He wondered how deeply that decision would disappoint his father.

Eren rounded the corner and skidded to a stop. Levi had been asleep when he'd slipped from the room. Now he was awake and not alone. A stranger stood at the foot of the bed. His hair was glossy and black and fell straight to his shoulders. As Eren watched, the stranger lifted his arm to loop his hair over his ear. His skin was a rich mocha brown. His brown corduroy pants and green cable knit sweater accentuated his slender frame. Even from the back he looked suave and expensive.

"...Rushil...what are you doing here?"

"...how could I not come?"

"When did you...no, it doesn't matter."

Rushil walked around the bed and sat down on the mattress in the spot across from where Eren had sat in vigil.

"July. I was doing such a good job of staying away. I was really proud of myself. Then I saw you on the telly. You've changed..."

Rushil leaned over and placed an elegant long fingered hand on Levi's arm with a familiarity that made Eren's gut clench. Even his voice was smoothe and cultured. He spoke English with a British accent that caressed or cut certain syllables. If Eren had to guess he was either Indian or Pakistani.

"There's a coldness in you now-"

"That's none of your business."

It wasn't difficult to grasp the context of the situation. Levi had never mentioned an ex boyfriend...but he wasn't exactly one to volunteer personal information. It was also clear that whatever this was hadn't ended well. From Eren's vantage point he couldn't see Rushil's face, but the way he cocked his head, Eren could imagine the way he would pout and look up at Levi through his lashes. It's what he would have done.

"I know you're not happy with me-"

"You're nothing to me, Rushil. I don't feel any way about you at all."

The elegant hand slid higher on Levi's arm, up to his bicep.

"I don't think even you beleive that, Lee."

Eren felt his hands start to shake and he stumbled, knocking over some tubes and bottles that were lined up on the counter by the door. Lee? Rushil turned and glanced at Eren, dismissing him as a nurse. His features were symmetrical and lovely. Eren couldn't decide if his hazel eyes were more brown or green. Swarthy skin, light eyes, lanky frame: Just Levi's type.