Chapter 19: Investigation

Special Agent Barbara Keenan slapped the folder down on the table in the conference room and exhaled in frustration.

"I don't understand why this isn't bothering anyone else!"

Commander Pyxis, Detective Jarvis, Paradis PD Captain Billings and ADA Wilson sat around the table exchanging varied expressions of boredom. Wilson pulled the short straw.

"Barbara, there is nothing to investigate. The shooter was identified by everyone we could lay our hands on, including the videos now trending on YouTube. The bad guy is in custody, case closed."

"Case closed...the bad guy..."

Barbara flipped open the folder and spread photographs across the table.

"You mean this bad guy? The guy who was internally decapitated and will spend the rest of his life as a quadriplegic, if he ever wakes up?"

This time Billings piped up,

"What's your point?"

"This guy was sauteed by an unarmed 20 year old in about 30 seconds flat. He broke 6 of his ribs with one punch. Did you guys even watch the video?"

Keenan stepped back and clicked the remote in her hand. The screen on the wall flickered to life showing a slowed down version of events from the perfect viewing perspective. She froze the video when the blood sprayed across Levi's face.

"He didn't even flinch. This wasn't some bullshit self defense. This was an execution. This...Levi Ackerman is a killer."

ADA Wilson stood up and rolled his eyes.

"You pulled me out of my office for this bullshit? You want me to prosecute the hero of Paradis University for putting down a would be mass shooter? That piece of shit didn't even die. I'll be laughed out of office, Keenan."

"Did you read his statement Wilson? I quote, 'I infiltrated the area, assessed the threat, and neutralized the target.' He doesn't even sound human. No remorse, no discomfort. What 20 year old college student uses the word 'neutralize' when referring to people?"

Pyxis pursed his lips,

"A kid who is top of his class at ROTC. Who has been trained in combat situations like this one. Give it up Barabara, you are wasting your time."

"And what about Fallon Church? That kid has the same training and practically pissed himself during interview!"

Jarvis stood and adjusted his uniform.

"Some people can't stand combat pressure, some can. This is not some phenomenon. If you will excuse me, I have actual work to do today."

The men got up one by one and shuffled out of the conference room. Pyxis followed, only to close the door after the last of his colleagues filed out.

"Leave this alone, Barbara."

Barbara turned around, sensing the change in the air.

"This kid is trouble, Dot. Junkie Vet dad, foster home, emancipated minor. All the warning signs are there...but...you already knew that...didn't you?"

Pyxis didn't bat an eyelash.

"He's a prodigy. We've been watching him for some time. He's going to do great things for this Country. So take that file back to the Capital and bury it."

Barbara frowned.

"Well fuck me. Who wants him? Marines? Seals?"

"I thought he might follow in my footsteps actually"