Something new

"S-Sparky?"

"Yes..." replied the old Jolteon, glancing at her concern at the reaction. "Something the matter, child?"

She shook her head reassuringly. "No... it's just..." She was sure she had heard the name before. She just couldn't remember how or when.

"Sparky... it's a pretty name," she said with a smile while she stared at the road ahead, immersed in thought.

"Thanks." Sparky smiled back at her, grateful for the compliment. "It's really nice of you to say that."

Then, the bushes nearby began to rattle and shake slightly, as if something was moving behind them.

Ribbon didn't have time to question what was going on when the Jolteon suddenly grabbed her by the scruff and ran away from the commotion, bewildering her.

Soon enough, they found themselves at a completely different part of the woods, and Sparky gently but quickly let the Pichu down on the grass.

"Huh? What happened, sir?" she inquired with utter confusion, finally able to move freely again.

The Jolteon was panting tiredly from the fast run, mostly because of his age as well, but he didn't seem remorseful at all. "There..." He inhaled deeply before continuing with his grandpa-like voice.

"There was something there."

"Eh?" Ribbon tilted her head to the side, still not understanding his panic. "But why did you run away?"

He suddenly turned at her with a strong sense of anxiety, clearly fearful. "Because it could have been a human!" he yelled, losing his tone for a moment. "Those filthy trainers are heartless in nature... they don't care what they have to do to get what they want...!"

Ribbon became slightly scared at his outburst; this obviously was a sensitive subject for him for some reason.

"B-but what if it was just another Pokémon?" she questioned.

"But what if it wasn't?" Sparky responded with another question. "I... I'm sorry, Ribbon..." He finally came to his senses again, sighing deeply. "I just don't want anything to happen to any other Pokémon because of those evil creatures..."

She herself knew humans weren't like he described them. Ash, Bonnie, Serena and Clemont were nothing of the sort; they were always kind and good at heart.

"But not all humans are bad, sir!" Ribbon told him firmly, gathering all the courage inside her to defend her friends to the point she actually surprised herself.

"Yes... they are. Don't be fooled, child," Sparky replied with a sharp side glance. "Now come on, there are berries somewhere around here, too."

Ribbon was still puzzled over his strange behavior but followed him reluctantly. They were able to reach some Grepa berries, and Ribbon was only able to take a few before Sparky urged her to leave the forest again.
.
.
.

Now back home at the cave, Ribbon was snuggling comfortably inside a sleeping bag made of wide leaves, while Sanda laid next to her in a similar one. The two cuddled close together.