Chapter 4

AUDREY POV: My eyes open slowly as the bright lights of the hallway filter in the room. I hear the persistent sound of beeping as I look around the room. Tim is beside me, looking down at his hands. He has a sling on his left arm and cuts all over his face. He finally spots my open eyes, and struggles for something to say. 

"Baby..." He starts. Part of me feels sick at the sight of him, while the other feels thankful to have him here. I want him to hold me. I also want him to leave me the hell alone. He promised to stay sober, and he didn't. Not only did he break his promise, but he left me alone in a situation that was not good for me. He physically hurt me, and then decided to try and drive me to the hospital, while heavily intoxicated. Nothing about that says that he's safe for me to be around... 

I look out in the hall to see my mom talking to the doctor. Tim traces my eyes back to them. 

"They'll make sure you're okay, honey." He says. I feel nauseous after hearing him call me baby. I'm so mad at him, but it's not like I can just walk out and leave. I look him in the eyes. 

"Don't call me honey." I say, my voice rasping. I can see he's in pain too, but it's nothing that he didn't cause himself. Had he just thought for a single damn moment that night... Had he just used his head... 

"Audrey, I'm sorry..." He says, his eyes filling with tears. I feel insensitive. 

"Stop..." I demand. He takes a deep breath and thinks of something to say. 

"Babe, I wasn't thinking. I just panicked and things just kept getting worse... I'm so so sorry." He says. 

"Don't call me babe." I say, trying to act cold. 

"What the hell should I call you then?" He says, getting angry. 

"Audrey." I say, not reacting to his change in tone. 

"Fine Audrey. I'm sorry. It was a bad decision, and I shouldn't have done it, alright?" He says. I stare out at my mom. What would happen if I called it off with Tim? Would I be able to move on? I think about what my mom said about guys. 

"It's better to be single, than be in a harmful relationship baby." She said, explaining my parent's divorce. 

"Leave." I say, without allowing myself to second guess. 

"What?" He says, surprised at my sudden backbone. 

"I'm done, and I would like you to leave." I explain, trying to show the least amount of emotion possible. He sits for a moment searching for words as my mom comes in. 

"Hey darlin'!" She says, coming to sit down next to me. "You two okay?" She asks, picking up on our awkward atmosphere. 

"Yeah, Tim was just leaving now, weren't you Tim?" I say, quoting about a dozen different movies. He nods. 

"I guess I am now." He says standing up to leave. He turns to my mom. "I'll call later to check on her." He says quietly to her. She nods and looks at me, sort of stunned as Tim leaves, and shuts the door behind him. 

"Whoa..." She says. I break down in tears. "Baby, what happened?" I don't know where to start... 

"It was Matt's party, and Tim got drunk, maybe even high... I couldn't find him the entire night, and then these two guys were trying to hurt me, and he was MIA until it was serious. He ended up almost killing both of them, then he proceeded to hurt me in the crossfire. And in the end, tried to drive me to the hospital, drunk and high." I say. She covers her gaping mouth with her hand. 

"Honey, I'm so sorry...." She says, grabbing my hand. 

"I don't know why he's got to be so destructive..." I cry. She cradles my head close to her chest and tries to calm me.