Chapter 6

SEVEN YEARS LATER

Faith POV: "Would you like a coffee tonight while you decide?" I ask, serving an older couple. They're holding hands on the table and making loving eyes at each other. They must be in their eighties, if not older. 

"I will take a cup, thank you, sweetheart." The man says. I shoot him a smile and rush behind the counter to grab the coffee. It's pouring outside, and the streetlights shine brightly through the fogged-up windows of the diner. There's practically nobody in here tonight. 

"Here you go, sir." I say, putting down the mug. 

"Thank you so much, darlin'." He says. His wife looks at him with undying love as he stops me. "Ms, do you have a moment?" He asks. I smile and kneel down beside the table. "I know you've worked here for many years, because you've served us many times, and I just have to say that you are truly a kind-hearted girl." He says. 

"Thank you." I say. 

"Have you fallen in love, honey?" He asks out of the blue. I shake my head. 

"No, not yet." I say. 

"Well, let me tell you," He starts. "if you can picture the guy you love and yourself together, looking like us in sixty years, it's meant to be." He says, showing me a bright smile. He warms my heart. It hits me that I've never heard the woman say anything. I serve them almost every time they are here, and he always orders for her. "We've been coming here since our first date here back in '28. I just remember how beautiful she was. I mean, look at her. She's flawless isn't she?" He says. I smile and look over at her. She is beautiful. 

Thank you. She mouths. It hits me that she must've had a stroke somewhere along the line. It's incredible to me, that even in that state, he can still make her happy. 

"I've been seeing you with that little guy from the auto shop up the street, and let me tell you, the way he looks at you..." He starts. "It's just like how I look at Elizabeth." He says, motioning towards his wife. I blush and smile. 

"Thank you." I say. 

"Don't let that slip away." He says. I nod. 

"I won't." 

My shift is finally over, and Jason is out back to pick me up. I run out and give him a kiss before I get in the passenger side. 

"Somebody's feeling affectionate today." He jokes. 

"It was that couple again today." I explain. He smiles. 

"They inspire you?" 

"No," I say. "The husband told me not to let you slip away." I say, clinging onto his hand. He laughs. 

"You're not going to lose me anyways." He says. I smile. 

We sit on the couch and watch a movie. He gets up and grabs another beer from the fridge, giving me a bit of a bad feeling. 

"Baby, haven't you already had enough?" I ask softly. He slams the beer down on the counter, causing me to jump. 

"Goddamnit, Audrey. I can do anything I want!" He yells. 

"I'm sorry." I say submissively. He continues to fight. 

"Don't give me a fake ass apology." He yells. I begin to feel numb as he walks over to me. I cringe as he stands by my side. "Look at me." He commands quietly the first time. I'm too scared to open my eyes... "Look at me, you whore!" He screams. I begin to cry as I turn towards him. He slaps me and grabs me by my neck.

"Momma..." I cry. 

"Honey, what's wrong?" She asks with her sweet wholesome voice.