Chapter 14 (Three Years Later)

Audrey POV: The TV blasts the OJ Simpson verdict as I dress Addison for the day. I switch the channel to play something more kid appropriate. Jason marches in.

"Why the hell do you always have to go changing things?" Jason says, taking the remote from my hands and changing the station back. I close my eyes and take a deep breath.

"Momma! Can I have pancakes this mornin'?" She asks, sporting my Mississippi accent.

"No, baby. You'll have to deal with cereal this morning." I say, grabbing a box of cheerios. She huffs and puffs while I grab the milk.

"Audrey, why don't you make her some pancakes?" Jason asks, tying his tie.

"Because I don't have time this morning, honey." I say. He rolls his eyes.

"You can't keep being so lazy, Audrey." He says, laughing at me. My chest hurts as I put down Addie's bowl of cereal in front of her. She takes her spoon and begins eating it all by herself.

Later that night, Jason comes home three hours late, reeking of alcohol. I know better than to ask where he's been.

"Hey, baby." I say softly. He throws his things down and begins to laugh.

"I'm not drunk." He slurs.

"I know you aren't. I never said you were." I say, avoiding incident. I rinse the dishes and place them in the dishwasher. He comes up behind me and begins to touch me.

"I could really use some time with you." He says, making groaning noises as he reaches up my shirt. I cringe. It'll be fine. It'll be over soon... I tell myself, knowing he does this all the time. If I revolt, he'll hurt me. He reaches up my skirt, causing me to jump. This signals me not cooperating in his eyes, and he sees red. "Why do you always have to be so damn difficult?" He yells, throwing me to the ground.

After hours of him hurting me, he finally stops, and vanishes upstairs without saying a word. I weep as I hear Addie scream. I can't do anything... I can't protect her.

I hear her running down the hallway. She appears at the top of the stairs, and races down, scaring me. The fear of her tumbling down the stairs, carries till she hits the final step, and runs to me. Her face is cut, and her arms are red.

"Shhhh... baby, it's alright." I cry, wrapping my arms around her. She sobs and shakes, making me feel sick. I hate him... I hate him so much...

"Where'd that little bitch go?" Jason screams stomping down the stairs. He spots her in my arms, and pries her away from me. She clings onto me tightly, making it painful for me to let her go. I feel helpless as she's torn away. Jason holds up his belt, and begins to lash her with it. She howls and cries for me. I curl up in a ball, knowing I can't do anything.

I hate him...

Jason disappears upstairs after beating Addie for hours. I make a decision after seeing Addie's scars. I need to get us out of here. She's going to get killed if I keep her here...

I grab the keys and my purse, and race out to the van. I grab some food for her on the trip, but nothing else. Everything else we can buy down there. I don't want to risk awakening him.

"Momma, where are we going?" Addie asks. I smile through my tears at her in the rearview.

"We are going to Louisiana, baby." I say.

"Louisiana?" She asks. I nod.

"Yep, baby. That's where my Momma lives." I inform her.

"Oh. Are we going to visit her?" She asks. I nod.