Chapter 5

FAITH POV: I look into his eyes, feeling absolutely horrible. I can't say yes... There's just no way this could work... I mean, we are going to colleges at least eight hours away from each other. Now he wants to get married? We haven't even graduated yet.... Who knows, maybe my mister right is in Memphis, just a few years away. I make up my mind. 

"I can't..." I find the courage to choke out. I quickly run off to art, before I can't see the disappointment in his eyes. 

I rush home, collapsing on the couch, and wait for Mom to get home. I can't breathe... I think I'm having a panic attack... 

"Hey honey! How was school?" Mom says dropping her bags on the table. 

"I need to talk to you..." I say. 

"About what?" She asks. 

"Tim..." I say. She nods, pulls out two pints of ice cream and two spoons. She tosses one to me, and sits next to me on the couch. The radio plays George Strait throughout the house. 

"Alright, spit it out." She says, practically tearing the top off of her ice cream. I slowly peel mine off. 

"He uh..." I try to think of how to phrase it. "Well the day started with Jackson threatening to kill me while I wasn't looking..." I start she nods. 

"Nice." 

"I know." I reply. "He wrote it on a paper airplane that hit me. Tim saw me looking at it and stole it from me, then he gave it to our teacher." I explain. 

"Good." 

"So then, I accidentally went to gym, because I thought it was Monday. Tim followed me, trying to 'make sure I'm okay' which led to us arguing, and then him kissing me. I practically ran away, and he stopped me in the courtyard." 

"Yeah?" 

"He uh..." I start again. 

"Just spit it out, Squirt." She says. 

"He got down on one knee, begged for forgiveness, then asked me to marry him." I spit out. Her jaw drops. 

"With a ring?" 

"With a ring..." 

"Holy shit." She says. She's holding back a little smile. "What did you say?" 

"I said no, then I ran away again." I say. I feel like crap. 

"Oh..." 

"Yeah..." 

"Do you think you did the right thing?" She asks. I sit for a moment and think things over. We couldn't have worked out. If we ever had kids, and he pulled a stunt like he did, it would be a disaster.... 

"Yeah..." I say, admitting the cold, hard truth. "I think I did."

"Well, good then." She says. "I guess now you don't have to worry about having the Memphis talk with him." I nod. 

"I guess that's true..." I say. 

"You know it's true." She says, giving me a kiss on the cheek. 

I skip school for a week. I can't go back there... I can't see him again... 

"You ready for today?" My mom says, giving me a kiss on the forehead. I stare at myself in the mirror, unsure whether I'm decent enough for the day.