29.

Grace's P.O.V

I stayed in the waiting room with Roman while my mother went with my sister.

"It will be okay." Roman held me.

I sat crying silently. "I hope so." I whispered.

"You never told me that your sister was expecting."

"You never asked." I answered blankly.

"Is that what got all your concerns up?" Roman asked me softly. I nodded.

"I was worried. I didn't understand some stuff, Hope and I had a chat to clear some, difficult topics, but some still left me confused."

I smiled at my foolishness as I sat next to Roman. His arm was draped around my shoulder, my head on his shoulder.

"How did all this confuse you?" Roman sounded confused. This is basic biology that I should know.

"Like all the relationships I avoided, that was also something I had become arrogant in." I answered him.

"You were lying to me on the phone earlier." Roman suddenly said. "I don't like to be lied to. Especially by you."

I gasped. "How?"

"I have my secrets too." Was all he said about that.

I groaned, but made no attempt to move. "You wouldn't answer my question. About this. Us. So I was deciding what this is. Was. I don't know."

"Don't talk like it's the past tense." Roman said as he shifted. I raised my head.

"Why can't you give me an honest answer?" I asked him.

"Right here and now is not the best time to discuss this."

Roman was right. The waiting room wasn't overly full as I anxiously waited for my mother to return with some news about Hope.

"Have you finished your panic attack from yesterday?"

I looked up at him as he gave me a small smile.

"Yes. I apologise for the way I acted."

"Good."

I heard someone clear their throat and looked to see dad.

"Daddy." I jumped up to him. "When did you get here?"

"I just left the room I was in with your mother. She will be out soon."

"Is Will here?" I asked him.

"Yes. He is in with Hope."

Mum came out then, looking relieved.

"So? What's happening?" I asked her.

"Hope is fine, so is the baby. Hope has appendicitis. They are prepping her for surgery." Mum smiled at me.

"Can they do that while she is pregnant?" I asked, concern for both their well beings.

"They don't have a choice with that." Dad answered.

I frowned. "Why not?"

"Because, darling. Once it starts hurting, it has to come out." Mum answered. Have I been so caught up in my own personal life all these years that I don't know the basics of normal life to life facts?

"She will be in and out of surgery and in recovery in about an hour or two."

"Okay." I nodded.

"Your father and I will be finding the cafeteria if you need us darling."