17.

Grace didn't talk much as I drove.

She didn't ask where we were going. Or why.

"I'm sorry about the way I acted last night." She said softly as she stared straight ahead.

It's okay. I know you are scared. That's what I wanted to say, but the message didn't make it to my mouth.

"I had a stupid thought."

"That I was obsessed with you?" I smirked at her.

She half laughed nervously. "Yeah."

"I wouldn't hurt you."

"That's what they always say before killing their victims." Grace smiled anxiously.

I stopped at the red light and looked at her. She was fidgeting with her fingernails.

I won't hurt you.

"Stop doing that." I told her before looking on to the road.

"Why do you still have the photo of us?"

"What photo?"

"The one that lady took of us at the markets. I found it last night on the floor."

Is that where it went? I've been looking for that. But I didn't answer her as I saw her still picking at her nails.

"Stop that." I repeated.

She kept doing it though, I told her again to stop, and she did, until she didn't.

I snatched her hand and held it as I drove on the highway.

"Roman, you need two hands to drive." She said to me.

I ignored her for several minutes until I did need that hand back.

It was a long and quiet drive and Grace finally stopped picking at her nails. She started getting interested in the things we had passed until she looked at me with suspicion in her eyes.

I parked the car and got out.

"Why are we here?" She asked in a bored tone. I looked at the entry. It was the markets I've taken her to before. The one my parents use to take me to.

"I told you another time. Here we are." I grunted as she slowly walked to the entrance.

"I don't know." I heard her say. "It looks crowded, Roman."

I turned to her and looked hard at her. Is this the same Grace? Is there a doppelganger of her out there? Has she got an identical twin sister that has swapped places with her?

Instead of grabbing or snatching her, I slid my fingers down her arm to her hand. I walked at a faster pace as Grace nervously followed, being half dragged by me.

We went in and I took a different path, one we didn't take last time as we leisurely looked at the random stuff.

There was nothing here I wanted to buy, personally, but last time we were here, Grace enjoyed herself. I wanted her to feel that again.

But every time I peeked at her, she was looking down at the ground. She was tense.

"I use to come here every Friday while on school holidays." I suddenly said.

Grace frowned as if she was trying to register what I had said.

"It was every Friday before I started attending school." I walked us up to a vendor and purchased us drinks. Grace accepted hers and took a sip before putting the lid on it.

I took her hand again as we continued walking. I saw her looking at me as if I was an alien before I spoke again.

"I haven't been here for six years, until I brought you here last time."