Chapter 4

2127 September

Los Angeles, California

    "Attention, amborg deployment requested by many officials of the Los Angeles urban districts. Multiple gang-related activity reported. Local police forces unable to contain and military response time has been delayed. All amborgs stand by and prepare for deployment. Emergency status has been declared."

    117 sat inside his deployment pod and gazed out the window briefly. There were a few clouds but he could see the columns of smoke along the skyline as he listened to the computer's initial pre-deployment scenario briefing. His memories of his old home were blurry but he knew that this was the type of setting that he had struggled for his very life before Dr. Kendrick had found him. Now here he was, getting ready to step back out in the world for the first time as an amborg, saving innocent people caught in the crossfire. As the briefing ended, Mandy's voice spoke in the back of his head.

    "Ready for your first operation David?" she asked loud and clear. "I suppose it's technically our first operation together. But luckily you get to do the heavy lifting and I've got my coffee back here in my cubicle."

    "Isn't questioning my readiness to be redundant?" 117 answered as he tilted his head. "I have been ready for this and am operating under normal parameters. I predict many positive outcomes as well."

    "David, just say you're ready..." Mandy mumbled bitterly. "I'm already nervous enough."

    "Did I say something to make you nervous?" 117 asked.

    "Obviously yes 117," Mandy answered as the pod's thrusters activated and he felt the speed dropping. "It looks like both of us are asking redundant questions today."

    There was a loud kroom as the pod touched down on the ground. The door clamps hissed and unlocked allowing the door to swing outwards. 117's harness automatically came undone and he leaped out. Landing on his feet, he looked around and surveyed the immediate area.

    His landing zone was in the middle of a parking lot with a few vehicles. Taking particular note of a group of children playing on the wreckage of a destroyed car, he nodded and waved a hand at their stunned faces. 117 stepped forward and transmitted a signal to his pod.

    The engines roared and with a loud burst of flames, it flew up just like a rocket and shot off back into the air. 117 watched it shoot out of sight before beginning his walk. His HUD, which was on almost all the time began to chime and suddenly, Mandy's face appeared in the upper right corner of his display signaling a phone call.

    "Alright David," she said, "Checking your sensory data. Eyesight, hearing, taste... Well only if you actually eat some food. Uhh, implants are running really well since your last checkup. Primary CPU and main functions are green. Perfect as usual. Sensor and GPS are running right... about... now. Sound systems, video connection is streaming. Great graphics. I now see what you see. A set of eyes and voice in the back of your head. Standard procedure says I have to ask this even though it's obvious... Can you hear me?"

    "I am reading your communication line loud and clear Mandy," 117 replied, "All systems are green."

    "Oh good," Mandy replied, "I was afraid I'd have to check the volume control."

    "Sarcasm is still not my strongest suit," 117 replied in his neutral tone. He looked around and didn't see anything suspicious so he continued walking. "What is my current objective?"