Chapter 25

The Fourth Floor (Hopefully)

    After a final check, 117 looked back at the small number of worn-out amborgs. 3 was showing a bit of concern by the expression on her face. Everyone else, despite their fatigue, were looking to him for one last briefing. 117 nodded in understanding as he led them forward. Finally, it was over, almost. As they approached a double door, they knew what was at stake. They were going in with just them. They didn't have time to wait for any stragglers to come after them. It was time to make the last push.

    "Status?" 117 asked.

    Everyone checked their power levels and damaged systems. Everyone had had their share of battle damage but they all nodded.

    "I want everyone to know that we have the strength. Enough for this last fight. I would like to make one simple request."

    "David 117, the outcome I envisioned has been the same since this incident first started," 5 interrupted angrily. "We should not be apprehending someone who has committed acts of mass genocide."

    "Well, 5," 1 replied. "I partially agree with you but unfortunately, that is why all eighty nine of us participated in a vote. You and twelve others agreed to execute him on the spot but the rest of us have spoken otherwise."

    "I have told you the truth," 117 replied firmly. He knew that there were would be more than a few people arguing against him. This was the last opportunity he had to try and convince the team in front of him now. "But we are amborgs. If we kill, then the last rule of human nature will fall and the enemy will win. I do not deny the lives that we have taken on the field whenever we set out on an operation. But those were moments when I personally did not feel. People told me I had to kill these criminals because they deserved to die and we said that it was war and they were casualties of it. The roots of my humanity have gone deep during this incident and I am sure the rest of you have felt a great change as well. But I know that I will regret it if this mastermind, this evil person has his way. We have to take him in. If he dies, then we may even become like him. Stop looking at me like that 5. It is rude to roll your eyes. I know that in our cybernetics, we are designed... we volunteered to do the right things for life. You may hate me for a long time but I learned that sometimes, I do not have to care. I just need to do what I believe to be ok. Of course the system has flaws. We make it right though no matter what. All that matters now is we finish this."

    117 looked at 5 who had a serious look.

    "Can I at least break his face?" he said after what seemed like a good deal of an awkward silence.

    Everyone stared at 5 but then they saw that he had said another joke. One by one everyone began to chuckle slightly. 117 felt the tension lift a little.

    "Just in case it is not clear though," 1 spoke up.

    1 stood in between 5 and 117. The whole team looked at the first amborg and watched.

    "I will only say this once because for the record, it deserves to be said out loud. I agree with the both of you."

    He made his statement very firm and grounded that none of them even replied. Both 5 and 117 looked at each other and then guiltily down at the floor. Their prides had clashed and for amborgs, that was emotionally unstable. 1 motioned for the two of them to look at him.

    "Yes, I believe that 5 is right. We should not allow this murderer to live," he explained. "Under societal traditions and the wishes of basic human personality traits, the death of this assassin is the fulfillment of justice people want. But as 117 has claimed, where very few would have the courage to admit, I think he is right as well. Despite the negative backlash. We have been blinded so much by anger that we lost the very sense of purpose for why we chose to agree to this life. I agreed to fight death in the face because I was afraid. I had nothing to lose and I wanted to have reason to keep living my life. If I had to have a CPU installed in my brain, then ok, that was what I agreed to and here I am. Like 117 said, I wanted to fight for the right thing and as 5 said, I want nothing more than to destroy the very evil that hurts both the good and bad people that drove us to this lifestyle. But what matters now is what we decide to do that makes us who we are. Do people believe in us or should they fear us after this? We figure that out then but like 117 believes, we shouldn't care anyway. And as 5 said, we should also act out our anger on those that incite injustice on us. So, you two listen to me right now. Can we please stop with all the philosophical, and moral judgement crap? We are badass cyborgs. We are taking this guy in because if he is laughing at us, then we break his face, but we keep him alive so we can have millions of people look at him for the way he is. A monster. He will be held responsible and have no way to hide from it. Johnny 5 and David 117, I hope this finishes whatever lingering arguments you two are brewing. Because I'm ready to finish this and just go home."