Chapter 27

2128 April

A.I. Industries: Dr. Kendrick's Office

    "Well the assassin has been placed into deep custody, the evidence will keep him there for the rest of his life. That is... until his execution to which I have been invited to attend, and they've requested an amborg escort. Be prepared for that. All of his assets are being frozen and seized by the government and used to rebuild what was destroyed. Compared to my money, it's pretty good... The three groups have all contributed to repairs all across the country. I'm currently searching for candidates for the fourth and fifth groups. All should be relatively safe. The U.N. is asking me to be a permanent advisor, should something out of hand happen again whereas the Supreme Court wants me to attend a hearing debating whether we really need the amborgs... And let's see, oh yes, my children are leaving to take on the real world. Just an ordinary day it seems."

    "Can you repeat all of that in one breath Dr. Kendrick?"

    "Don't test me David 117."

    117 stood across from Dr. Kendrick's desk. Through the walls, the party was loudly resonating but their conversation went on uninterrupted. Out of all the amborgs that had posted something, whether it be big or small, 117 had not actually talked with Dr. Kendrick about his future plans. He knew the moment he had returned to the facility, that a conversation with his "father" about the subject would come up.

    "So 117, what's your plan?"

    Although it was a fairly simple question, 117 shrugged his shoulders anyway. His life before becoming cybernetically enhanced was one he chose not to remember. After he became an amborg, he never thought of doing anything else even though Mandy had consistently taught him about individuality.

    "I do not have any plans that I wish to fulfill at the moment," he replied after a few seconds of calculating. "Being an amborg is the best thing that I know how to do. If you ask me about the future, I am uncertain about what I want. But I would like to request temporary leave to the Academy for a period of twenty four hours."

    "The Academy?" Dr. Kendrick looked up from his report. He hadn't expected 117 to make a request like that before. "What business draws your attention there?"

    "A promise that I intend to see through," 117 answered firmly. He promptly chose to look away from Dr. Kendrick's curious gaze. "I want to inform someone of my safety and honor the pact I made in words with her."

    "Well, take all the time you need David," Dr. Kendrick nodded and smiled, "You're free to find out what it is you want to do. It's not like I'm forcing you to choose a career on the spot. I just asked you here because I want to know what you want to do, now that we foresee a time of peace. Supposedly."

    "I plan to return here after my leave of absence," 117 smiled, "I am compelled to continue operating under your command. Besides, I am one amborg who would wish to remain at the place I call home. I want to continue being here, being your son, and carrying out what needs to be done."

    "You do know that you aren't the only amborg staying right?" Dr. Kendrick removed his spectacles and stared at 117. "I happen to know 1 wishes to stay after he has seen the world. 999 wants to have nothing to do with freedom. She is more accustomed to a system that she can follow and I swear, that girl just hates the words 'bikini' or 'holiday'. Almost felt like she'd rip my throat out if I ever mentioned her taking time off again. And there are at least ten others asides from that. Heh heh. Not everyone is making the choice to go out there. Nor am I sending you in exile. I'll still have a capable team."