Chapter 10

Christmas Day

    Time passed rather quickly ever since 117 spoke with his grandfather. In the meantime, he never forgot about that conversation and was constantly on guard. After he submitted his report to Dr. Kendrick and the other amborgs, new protocols had been updated to help ease the tension and uneasiness that had developed. Even though it was the winter holiday, 117 still wanted to maintain a sense of security and constant vigilance. He was on his way to the big Christmas party to hopefully find time to relax for the first time in weeks. As he turned a corner, he felt a small twinge in his back. He massaged it briefly and checked his bio-scans. The scar from the knife wound in his back would always be there to serve as a reminder of his first defeat. He was only allowed to take off the bandages a week ago so he wasn't surprised it was acting up in small ways.

    117 continued down the hall but slowed his pace to monitor his back. As he did so, he ended up walking by 8 and 9's quarters. All of a sudden, an explosion came from inside 8's quarters stopping him in his tracks. Out of habit, 117 leaped to the wall furthest away from where the blast came from and hunched down. Instantly, the door across from 8's quarters opened and 13 sped out of his room. He rushed by, ignoring 117's defensive stance and pretended as if nothing was going on.

     "I don't want to be here to see what happens this time," he said irritably and disappeared fast around the corner. "I believe I will drop in on the Christmas party a few minutes early. Merry Christmas and see you later 117."

    "See-you-there-13," 117 replied, stunned at how fast 13 was gone. He wasn't sure if 13 had even heard.

    117 barely had time to turn his head when suddenly, the door to 8's room burst open. He saw Stuart 8 run outside, head on fire, and attempting to put it out. Without even linking up with him, 117 ran to the emergency panel and grabbed the fire extinguisher (which had been voted by several amborgs to remain there on a consistent basis) and began putting him out instantly. The extinguishing agent covered 8 in white foam, immediately putting out the flames. While he wasn't too severely damaged, he gave a look of utmost fury. At that same moment, Christy 9 came out of her room and instantly took a photo with a large grin on her face.

    "Annnndd... Merry Christmas to you 8!" she said cheerfully, "I was planning to take a picture of him on fire but this works too!"

    8 wasn't amused at all.

    "9! A flamer grenade?! I just finished cleaning up for the Christmas party!" he shouted. Somehow 117 was included in the group chat when he shouted this.

    117 placed the extinguisher back in the holder and radioed the custodian as the two of them began to throw insults. This time however, there were very few insults which was a first.

    "Always worrying for nothing. You won't be late," 9 said reassuringly in a teasing manner which 117 was sure she had spent months practicing on, "If you start now, you can clean up in at least a minute and thirty second window and still be in time for the party."

    "You mean you could have made me late?"

    "I chose not to," 9 winked, "Consider that a gift from my precious thoughts of you during this lovely yuletide."

    With a grin, she went back inside her quarters and the door shut. A loud click indicated to the two amborgs that she had safely locked herself inside.

    117 looked at 8 who was staring angrily at her door. 8 almost looked like he was about to yell but couldn't seem to find the right words. He looked to 117 for help but all 117 could do was give him a smile of sympathy.