Chapter 6

Five days later

Giuseppe's Fine Cuisine

    "Captain Bradley, you may want to consider changing your expression to something pleasant. Otherwise you risk giving away our identities."

    "Shut up tin-head, you're not supposed to be talking... at all!"

    "Captain please calm down, you really are scary when you get angry."

    117, Sergeant Johnson and the captain were sitting in a small booth. Despite her loud retort, every other customer continued their meals and conversations. The restaurant was bustling with activity but the three of them maintained a low profile. The atmosphere shifted when the owner, Giuseppe walked up with an empty tray and an electronic tablet.

    "Ah Ms. Bradley, going undercover again?" he spoke casually.

    "Oh shucks, and I tried so hard to look like a damn civilian," Bradley looked back at the owner angrily.

    "You're tone suggests sarcasm Captain..." 117 stated which got him elbowed hard in the side.

    "Quiet."

    Unconcerned, Giuseppe, dragged his finger over the mini-screen and walked away.

    "It'll be the usual then," he muttered cheerfully, "Followed by the occasional drop-in of bad guys. I'll go get my shotgun."

    Bradley stood up causing Johnson to flinch. 117 immediately picked up his glass of water and offered it to him.

    "I'm going in the back to...freshen up," she said very sourly, "You two keep an eye on the place. If there's any trouble, just scream real loud. That means you Johnson."

    As she walked away, Johnson let a huge sigh of relief and downed the cup of water that 117 had passed over. 117 stared and saw that drops of sweat were slowly descending down his head.

    "Is the Captain always angry about something?" 117 looked towards where she had gone. Johnson turned to look, then leaned forward and whispered.

    "Yeah, she's always been like that. Tough and very pissed. I'm telling you, if looks could kill, then the captain gets the prize."

    Giuseppe came back with some drinks and put them on the table. He gave Johnson another glass of water and a beer bottle, placed a martini glass full of something green in Bradley's spot and a third one in front of 117. He then drew up a chair and sat down with them.

    "All right, my indestructible friend," Giuseppe said cheerfully as he pointed at one of the glasses in front of 117. "Try one of these new formulas that I just invented. I want to see if you like it."

    "Is it ok for a... 'Cough' person of your type to drink alcohol?" Johnson asked 117.

    He looked at the drink which was fizzing more loudly than any martini that any of them had ever seen before. Was it carbonated or something?

    "Well I learned that it is polite to... accept things when they're offered," 117 said courteously raising the glass and nodded his head at Giuseppe. "Amborgs typically do not consume alcohol but as you say, there is always a first for something."

    Without any delay, he drank the entire thing within seconds. Nothing seemed to happen at first, then all of a sudden, 117 coughed, turned his head and made a face. Steam then erupted out of his ears. He felt as if he had been hit by a hammer. Johnson gaped at 117 and nervously looked around to make sure no one had seen anything but apparently, no one paid any attention to what had just happened.