Chapter 29

2135

A.I. Industries

    "I trust you enjoyed your stay?"

    Brad nodded. He probably had spent the entire day learning more than he had ever thought was possible. To hear things from another perspective felt so invigorating. He had suddenly developed a whole new respect for what it was that the amborgs had done and were still doing today. After that giant story, he immediately began to feel his exhaustion. That was the end of it though and he was going back home in a bit. A small part of him didn't want to though as Dr. Kendrick and 117 escorted him down the hallway. A transport for him was waiting just for him and prepping to take him home.

    "Absolutely," Brad exclaimed excitedly as he stretched his arms, "It's amazing listening to a whole new perspective about the Domino Incident, the amborgs, and their individual disappearances following the war. Everyone I knew just wondered why they disappeared. We thought the government exiled them or something."

    "Yes, and you can also see why I'm reluctant to let someone like you become an amborg," Dr. Kendrick said, "Because you would be burdened with a new life that sounds like it is filled with freedom but in reality, it may not be at times. Not only that, you'd also need to be able to withstand the pain that they go through as a family. Remember, they grew up without their real parents, their homes, and no education, but they kept their determination to live. Only one of the highest caliber would be capable of helping to nullify the kinds of trauma they have faced. In some situations, we still have certain relapses or even the occasional physical or mental breakdown."

    "And as a precaution," 117 interrupted. "We would advise against you taking this rejection seriously and offer you several options to boost your welfare and morality."

    "What?" Brad asked incredulously.

    "Oh," Dr. Kendrick chuckled sheepishly. "That's just a little note of warning we like to say to our rejected applicants. You know er... Please don't try to declare one man wars anywhere and we'll give you cookies."

    "Oh gotcha," Brad chuckled. "No, I won't try to idolize the assassin and start another Domino Incident. That happened when I was young. But because of this, I guess it wouldn't hurt to consider different careers. Especially since, I have a family and... becoming an amborg would change all that."

    "An excellent point," 117 said informatively. "Our lives are not technically the best career prospects. We instead prefer to think of them as adequate ways of living. You'd be surprised at what kind of jobs several of us have successfully held over the last few years though when we went incognito."

    "Maybe I'll hear about those stories some other time," Brad smiled. "After all, I'm already thinking of visiting again."

    "You'll always be welcome," Dr. Kendrick nodded as he patted Brad on the shoulder. "You're very lucky you know, especially since that's a critical and important story."

    "There is one more question though. Whatever happened to 43 and her condition? I don't think we covered that."

    117 nodded casually. They stopped in the middle of the hall and 117 looked around.

    "I believe I can trust you for some reason Brad," 117 said quietly. "It is true that 43 was slowly dying after the Domino Incident. But what happened to her is essentially a leap in scientific endeavors. I ask that the following information be kept a secret."

    Brad nodded in agreement. 117 looked at Dr. Kendrick who smiled and the two of them continued escorting Brad down the hall. 117's bracelet activated and projected an image of 43.