Chapter 30

2136

Los Angeles

One year A.B. (After Brad)

***

    ("Mandy, I know this is an annoying question. But when will the lesson end?")

    ("Almost Sarah. This part was actually given to me by 117's grandfather. Turns out he thinks it is footage everyone should see.")

    ("Is there really a historical timeline marking that says 'after Brad'?")

    ("In our historical files, yes. Now shush.")

***

    "So are you in or out?"

    "I don't know."

    "All I'm saying is that if we could end up teaching them, it'd be a great skill set to have! You're going to have to deal with your insecurities about watching over children soon."

    From the top of a very tall skyscraper, Fourth Group amborgs, Alex 280 and Ally 113 were both sitting on the edge of a rooftop overlooking the city. From their vantage point, they had begun to talk about personal details while they waited patiently for their next set of orders. Lately they had been told to try having off-topic small talk in order to pass the time. Both of them made sure their internal chronometers were shut off. They were apparently not supposed to be too precise.

    "Ok, I guess we can do it," he said as he stretched his arms above his head.

    113 smiled and brought out her notepad from her waist pocket.

    "Great!" she said as she flipped the pages and scanned the names written on the page. "I'll call... Diane and we'll be official volunteer chaperones for the school's field trip. As friends to the local schools and helpful subjects of volunteer programs for kids, they will be very happy to hear of our support."

    "I enjoy babysitting kids," 280 spoke as he scratched his head, "But seventy four kids on a trip to the zoo is a bit much isn't it 113?"

    "Well, confidentially speaking, we are evolved humans and we can handle it."

    "Not so loud!" 280 said urgently, "You want to blow our cover?"

    "What's the big deal?" 113 replied as she gestured to the lights of the city, "If we're blown, we just disguise ourselves and go dark. Do the death protocol and ta dah. There is no cause to be alarmed. We are figments of the human mind."

    Before he could respond, a small beeping noise began sounding off. If anyone else had been around, they wouldn't have heard it. Both amborgs perked up and instructions were feeding straight into their brains from a private message.

    "All members standby," a voice spoke in their heads, "Everyone has reached their positions. Prepare for phase two of the operation. Objectives are now being prioritized for each one of you. Secondary directives will apply. As always, anyone caught slacking or compromising the objective is in charge of garbage duty, or something they will hate doing for a month. Now then, proceed."

    "That's our cue," 280 said calmly as he stood up on the ledge.

    113 stood and looked over the edge. He then lightly jumped up and then fell off.