Chapter 5

2127 November

Several weeks later: Twelve successful operations

A.I. Industries: Amborg Residential Area

    It was very quiet and peaceful on the premises which was a first. Whenever she wasn't working, Mandy preferred walking the long way through where the amborgs resided to get back to where she stayed. On any normal weekend, she would usually just breeze past the rooms of the cybernetic teens but this time, she was taking it all in and paying much more attention. Mostly because it was the first weekend in four months she'd actually be returning to her real home off-site for some vacation time. It would be fine unless world war four started or something.

    As she turned into another hall, she looked right outside and saw the main complex across one of the courtyards. Most of the research and development was done there under the direct supervision of Dr. Kendrick. Even the amborgs weren't allowed there as well which made it seem ridiculously classified. It would be a long walk to get to the transport pad but Mandy felt she'd rather make a few more turns to pass the time slowly. Part of her wanted to go home and see how it had changed after a few months but she felt more attached here.

    "This place is already home enough," she muttered as she clutched the folders she was carrying. "We're all just one big family living in a country house with a lot of toys and jobs to keep us all well-financed and entertained."

    "A very astute analogy. May I use that in potential future conversations of interesting subjects?"

    Mandy heard the voice come from her bracelet, whipped around and found herself looking up at a familiar face. It was definitely one she was well acquainted with.

    "Amborg Johnny 5!" she exclaimed happily. "It's so nice to see you again!"

    "It is a pleasure Ms. Mandy," 5 nodded cheerfully. The first group amborg smiled pleasantly as her bracelet lit up and recited his thoughts. "Is it not your weekend off? You should be on your way home by now. Unless you really believe that this place is also your home now."

    "Well, gratefully I am looking forward to the time off," Mandy shrugged, "But at the same time, there's kind of no point in leaving for two to three days and then be back here. I just wanted to take one long walk before I just plunk down on my bed."

    "A trip down memory lane then?" 5 inquired humorously. "Even so, you still seem to be carrying a great deal of work for someone who just ended their shift."

    "You won't believe how many reports I've been filing," Mandy slouched. The folders had begun to slip and she needed to readjust her arms to keep them from falling. "I still can't seem to get these done... Are you heading back to your room?"

    "Yes I am. I am also participating in the ritual that humans often call... down time."

     5 looked at the folders briefly before speaking again.

    "It is also not a surprise that your reports are enormous," he said. "117 has been accomplishing quite a handful of tasks. You two really are an excellent team. However I must go now, I must prepare for a meeting with Dr. Kendrick later after I return to my room first for a charge."

    "Thanks 5," Mandy said blushing a little. "117 deserves the credit more than I do though."

    "Please," 5 raised a hand. "You both deserve the same amount of credibility for being one of the best teams. Also, call me Johnny if you choose."