Chapter 16

2135

Gymnasium

    "Amborg Johnny 5. Please assist with clean up. The custodians and security request that you clean after yourself."

    The voice over the intercom cut through the story like a dagger as 5 gave a sigh and stood up. He looked at his mud-stained clothes and nodded towards the P.A. speaker. Brad gave small sigh of disappointment.

    "Aww, must I report for cleaning?" he asked cheekily. He winked at Brad who stared curiously and purposely said aloud, "I am currently in the midst of retelling a pretty good story."

    "NOW number 5," the person over the P.A. said with an annoyed tone immediately in response to his question. "You trailed mud in six corridors. Do not give Stan any more work. Move it."

    "Ok ok. I got it 2," 5 called out randomly. Chuckling, he turned to bid a quick farewell to the two humans. "Excuse me Doctor. Pleasure to have met you Brad. Enjoy the rest of the story."

    He walked away and left the gym. After he vanished out of sight, Dr. Kendrick suggested a break before getting back to the story. Both he and Brad left the gym and paced the corridors, making their way to the cafeteria. As they went, a thought suddenly crossed Brad's mind.

    "I have a question Doctor," he said as they walked past a corner.

    "Hmm?"

    Kendrick lit a cigarette but it was instantly put out when a nozzle extended out from the side of the wall. The hole sent out a burst of wind which immediately blew it out. An A.I. that was passing by shook his head sternly at Kendrick and zoomed away. Looking at the unlit cigarette, he put it inside a case with a sigh and placed it inside his coat pocket.

    "Drat!" he snapped his fingers but at the same time, he couldn't help but chuckle a little. "I can't seem to smoke anywhere anymore. If it isn't the amborgs telling me it's bad for my health, it's the A.I.'s hacking into the fire suppression systems just to extinguish my flames. Ha."

    "Right sir," Brad chuckled, "They do look up to you. Naturally, it's not surprising they keep a close eye on your health. They serve and protect everyone."

    "That they do," Dr. Kendrick nodded in agreement. "What was your question?"

    "If we currently live in an era of peace," Brad started but chose his words carefully. "Why is it that you still look for potential children to be amborgs? Is it still necessary in these times?"

    "Very necessary," Dr. Kendrick nodded. "Peace in this time is mostly assured but for some other individuals, they need help even if conditions are better than before. These lucky souls are taken in by me to become next generation amborgs. But as the times are becoming more stable, you are correct in questioning if the amborgs are necessary. The end of the story will probably surprise you. Perhaps it might be better to find someone else to assist in the depiction."

    "Perhaps we can find Mandy?" Brad asked. "It feels like she and 117 are the ones who had the most involvement."

    "Someone say my name?"

    Both of them turned and saw Mandy approaching from an intersecting corridor. By now, she must have already been 117's technician for many years. Brad looked and realized that she looked just the way that 117 had described her earlier to a tee. She wore her usual outfit and carried a file of reports which she had just finished writing during regular work hours. Despite her look of exhaustion however, she carried a small smile on her face which gave a look of confidence and motivation to finish the day.