Chapter 20: Polly

The next day, Alice, Betty, Fp and Claire sat in silence waiting for Polly to arrive with the twins. After last night Alice and Betty's relationship was even more strained than before. Suddenly there was a knock on the door and everyone snapped out of their bubbles of ignorance.

"I'll get it" Alice said, jumping up. She opened the door to see her daughter with her grandchildren. "Polly!"

"Mom!" Polly said hugging her mother tightly and then pulling the stroller containing her two 2 year olds into the living room.

"Hi Pol!" Betty said giving her sister a hug and then cooing at her niece and nephew.

"Claire, you definitely don't remember me but you've grown up so much!" Polly said turning to Claire.

"I've heard so much about you and seen pictures but the famous Polly in person!" Claire said hugging the older girl.

"Mr Jones, glad to see that you are still with my mom" she said to the man.

"Come on Polly, call me Fp" he replied, pulling her into a hug. Polly tensed a little trying to comprehend the situation before relaxing.

"So Polly, we have something to tell you" Alice said taking her granddaughter, Juniper out of the stroller.

"What is it Mom?" Her daughter replied taking Dagwood out and putting down to play on the rug with his sister.

"Fp and I are getting married!" Alice announced.

"That's wonderful! I'm so happy for you guys" Polly said grinning from ear to ear.

"I was wondering if you would like to be a bridesmaid?" Alice asked.

"Oh my God, of course Mom!" Polly hugged her mother tightly. She turned around and noticed her sister's grim expression. "What's wrong Betty?"

"Nothing" Betty said forcing a fake smile.

"Okay" Polly agreed but she wasn't convinced. Claire was sat on the floor playing with Juniper and Dagwood.

"I'm so glad I get to see you again Claire, me and Betty would always ask you to play dolls with us but obviously you couldn't you were so little" Polly picked up Dagwood. Claire laughed.

"I know, I was so young yet this place felt so familiar when I got back" Claire said. Betty rolled her eyes and stomped off to her room. Her bedroom door slammed causing Juniper to start crying. Claire shushed her and gave her a cracker to keep her quiet.

"What's wrong with her mom?" Polly asked.

"I don't think she's very happy about me and Fp" Alice said, Fp had his arm around her waist.

"She's furious! Let me talk to her" Polly is said placing Dagwood back onto the floor and following her sister upstairs. She knocked on the door softly. "Betty?"

"What do you want?" Betty murmured into her pillow.

"I want to know what's wrong." Polly sat next to her sister on the bed.

"Isn't it clear? Mom is getting married!" Betty exclaimed.

"I know! It's great she looks so happy!" The older sister explained.

"But I'm not happy" Betty whined.

"Betty, you don't seem to be understanding the point of this chat. At this point, it doesn't matter if you're happy or not it's about Mom and how she feels. She has been through so much with Dad an-" Polly was interrupted.

"Stop, just leave me alone" Betty said pushing her older sister off of the bed. Polly stood up and stomped downstairs, trying to hold herself together, to be the bigger person.

"I wouldn't worry about it too much Pol, she'll come around eventually." Alice wrapped her arms around her daughter. Betty stayed in her room for the rest of the night as the others had dinner downstairs. It came the time for Polly and the twins to leave, Alice cried as she hugged her daughter goodbye.

"I love you, come back soon. Will I see you before the wedding?"

"Of course Mom, the wedding isn't for a while yet. I'll definitely see you" Polly reassured her mother.

"Bye Polly, it was nice seeing you" Claire said, reaching over to give Polly a hug.

"Nice seeing you too Claire, have a nice Christmas"

"You too"

"Bye Polly, thanks for visiting" Fp said, putting his hand out.

"Oh come here" Polly pulled the man in for a hug.

"Have a nice Christmas, see you soon!" Alice shouted as her daughter walked down the path with her grandchildren.

"Come here Ali" Fp pulled a crying Alice into a hug. "She'll be back soon and Betty will come around"

"Now up to bed you" Alice motioned for Claire to go away. She rolled her eyes and trudged up to bed.

A/N

Yeet, this part is long. Go read Heathers: The Return!!! ❤️