Chapter Thirty-Eight

Summer

Today is probably gonna be one of the weirdest days of my life.

Losing Luke makes me feel numb. I still cry myself to sleep every night, and I don't feel much else any more. I miss him too much.

But today, I'm having my first appointment.

You know, for my pregnancy.

Aspen wants me to tell him, but she doesn't understand why I can't do it.

He deserves a life. He shouldn't need to pay for my mistakes.

Before I get in my car, I make sure the appointment is definitely today.

No doubt.

I drive down the street, actually feeling a bit nervous. I hope they don't do anything that hurts.

Too soon, I pull into the parking lot. I get out of my car and lock it, slightly yawning.

I put my keys in my pocket and stroll inside, going straight to the front desk.

"Summer Watson." I announce to the woman. She types in a few things.

"Okay, Dr. Buyers will be ready for you in just a few minutes." She says with a way too perky grin on her face. I quietly thank her and take a seat.

I take out a magazine and begin flipping through it, rolling my eyes at the latest celebrities to be caught with drugs.

"Summer?" A kind young woman asks from the front of the room. I stand and approach her, plastering on a fake smile.

The doctor leads me into a room in the back corner of the building and has me sit on one of those cushy chair/bed things. I make myself comfortable and stare at her.

"Okay, Summer. I'm Dr. Buyers, but you can call me Michelle." She introduces sweetly, making a small, but genuine smile appear on my face.

"Nice to meet you." I respond quietly.

"Okay, I'm just gonna ask you a few basic questions before we get started."

"That's fine." I stare at my feet that are swinging back and forth.

"How old are you?"

"16."

"Do you have any allergies?"

"Shellfish and raspberries."

"How many weeks are you?"

"About 10 weeks."

"How many times have you had sex?"

"Only once."

"What are your usual pregnancy symptoms?"

"Ummm, I don't know..... puking, being tired all of the time, weirdo cravings."

"Mhmm..... sounds pretty good." She smiles. She writes some things down on her clipboard while I sit there awkwardly.

"Okay, would you mind if I checked your belly?" She smiles.

"I guess." I shrug. She comes forward and lets me pull up my shirt. I stare at her hands as she rubs them over my skin, checking for things I wouldn't know of.

"Everything feels okay too! Now, you're far enough along for an ultrasound. Would you like that?" I think for a second. Do I want this?

"Yes." I confirm.

"Great! Now I'll just take you right through here," she leads me out of the room and down the hall, then pushes into a different room.

I sit down on the cushy bed, feeling unsure.

"Now recline a little and pull up your shirt." She orders, and I slowly do so.

She proceeds to rub on a cold, clear jelly, then flick on a little handheld machine connected to a TV screen.

"You're sure?" She asks. I nod.

She places the instrument on my belly, and immediately a gray-black image appears on the screen.

Suddenly, a black circle appears that's probably my ovary, with a small gray mass at the very bottom.

This is when it feels real to me. I can make out a head, and a few limbs.

This is my baby. This is my world now.

I can't shake the huge grin from my face.

The head moves, just a little, and I gasp, putting my hand over my mouth.

"Would you like a picture?" Michelle asks, beaming.

"Definitely." I don't hesitate to answer. I can't keep my eyes off the screen. She presses a button, and a few prints slip out.

"Now let's find the heartbeat." She decides. She moves the instrument around a little more, when-

A fast beat begins to sound, and my grin grows impossibly wider.

I'm so happy, my mind has finally drifted away from Luke.... even though he's one of the main reasons I feel this joy.

"You're doing great!" She confirms, before handing me my photos and prenatal vitamins and sending me out.

I get in my car and find my fingers flying over my phone screen fast, and I don't realize what I'm doing until I'm about to dial Luke.

I'm so excited, and he's the one I wanted to tell.

I frown and go back to the home screen.

I drive home, barging inside, still feeling overjoyed.

I don't even hesitate to run right up to Aspen.

"Geez, what are you so spazzy about, Summer?"

"Look, Aspen. It's real. It's my baby." I hold the photos out for her to study.

I'm surprised to see a small grin appear on her face.

I know I haven't felt so amazed and happy in a long time.

///////////////

Wattpad hates me

I fixed the problem

I'm an updating machine

Enjoy

May the force be with you

Kat xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx