Chapter Fifty Five

Summer

"Summer!" I hear Luke yell from upstairs.

"What?" I yell back, rubbing my temples.

Did I mention he was yelling over two never-ending wails? I guess you can see why I'm rubbing my temples now.

Suddenly, to add to the noise, my phone begins to ring.

"Sum-"

"Luke, wait a second!" I interrupt, before putting my phone to my ear.

"Hello?" I sigh.

"Hi Sum. Is there something wrong?"

"Do you really even need to ask that question, Tierney?"

"What do you mean?" After I hear her words, I point the speaker of my phone towards the stairs. My two lovely children continue to cry, just as I expected.

"I get what you mean." Tierney says anxiously.

"What did you need?" I ask.

"I wanted to bring Aspen over. She's been down in the dumps... and I thought maybe you could help her be more sure about taking care of a baby." She decides.

"Ah. Well me and Luke would love it if she took the twins off our hands for a few minutes." I smile.

"Great! We'll be right over." She says, before hanging up. With a grin still on my face, I climb up the stairs to my exasperated boyfriend.

"What're you so happy about?" He stares at me.

"Aspen's coming over to take Brook and Wren off our hands."

"Are you kidding?"

"Not at all!" I laugh at his relieved face.

"Thank God." He sighs.

"Now, what exactly is the issue?"

"They won't stop crying." He huffs.

"Luke. It isn't hard."

"Then I'd like to see you try." He challenges.

"Kay." I accept. I lean over and pick up little Wren, her eyes squeezed shut and her hands in fists. Slowly I rock her, softly singing a lullaby my mother used to sing me.

Gradually, the tiny baby begins to quiet down, and in minutes, she's staring at me with huge blue eyes. I kiss her forehead and slowly glance up to Luke.

His jaw is dropped.

"What? Are you surprised?" I ask quietly. He stands, looking into my eyes.

"Well, that, and...... you're so beautiful." He admits, making me blush. He wraps his arms around me, kissing my temple.

"I love you." I say.

"I love all of you to the moon and back." Luke mumbles. We stand there quietly for what seems like forever, when we hear the doorbell ring. Luke gives me one more kiss and lets me go.

I step cautiously down the stairs, Wren safely tucked in my arm.

"Hi guys." I greet, opening the door. Tierney happily responds, and Aspen doesn't say a word.

"How are ya doing sis?" I wrap my free arm around her shoulder, which she immediately shrugs off.

I hear Luke come down the steps, holding a finally quiet Brooklyn.

"Are you ready?" I smile at my own twin, who looks like she'd prefer to be anywhere but here.

"For what?" She mutters.

"Did you tell her?" I ask Tierney.

"Not really.." She shrugs.

"Tierney!"

"Well now I want to know." Aspen speaks louder.

"We noticed you were worried you wouldn't be ready to take care of a baby... so we're letting you practice with Brook and Wren for 2 hours." I explain. She's about to refuse, when she stops.

"Alright." She finally relents.

"Great!" I smile. Luke approaches my sister and gently sets our son in her arms.

Brooklyn and his aunt stare at each other with wide eyes for a few moments.

"He's so small." Aspen whispers.

That's when, for the first time ever, a tiny, mischievous grin creeps onto my son's face.

"Luke! He smiled!" I gasp. Luke rushes forward and hugs me tightly to his chest.

I open my eyes to notice a tiny smile has finally appeared on Aspen's face.

"Maybe this won't be so bad, kid." She whispers.

----------------------

Hi

All of you guys rock

Just saying

Thank you for all them votes:)

May the force be with you,

Kat

XxxxxxxxxxX

(p.s. If you've ever wondered why I always say may the force be with you.... imma bit of a Star Wars nerd.... lol)

Bye

Xxx