Party

"Why would Maxon decline?" Marlee took the words right out of my mouth.

"Isn't it obvious? Maxon isn't into Celeste. He's like the only guy not interested in her," Cedar sounded like she wanted this conversation to be done with, so Marlee and I took the hint and said our good-byes and headed to our room.

"It was so weird, Cedar didn't want to talk about it. She usually loves to gossip. Maybe something's wrong? Oh my gosh! What if Cedar has a crush..." Marlee stops in the middle of her sentence.

"What?" I ask looking in the direction she is. I see a young girl. Maybe a year or so younger than us. She has a duster in hand and she is dusting our television.

"Gosh! I'm so so so sorry! I didn't know that we would meet our maids, like, now!" Marlee leaps over to the young girl, who has looked up at us from all the commotion.

"Oh, hello my name is Lucy. I will be your maid, oh and there is also Anne and Mary," The girl-I mean Lucy-said.

Marlee hugs the girl to death. Lucy looks terrified. "I just know we are all going to be friends by the end of the school year!" She says happily.

I make my way over and introduce myself. "Hello Lucy, I'm America and this is my roommate, Marlee."

~•~

"We need to get ready America! The party is in less than an hour and we are in our bath robes!" Marlee screams from her side of the apartment.

"Okay Okay, we need to go over to Celeste and Cedar's room for makeup and hair in a half hour," I yell back.

"America!" Marlee bursts into my room without knocking. "What are you wearing for the party!"

"I was thinking some skinny jeans with this cute pink blouse," I point at the outfit I've laid out on the bed already.

"No, no, no, that will not do! This isn't a small party America, this is the biggest party of the year! You need to have a very short dress with a tight fit!" Marlee tells me and goes into my closet to search.

"You won't find anything good in there. I just packed some pants and shirts. Then when we went to the mall I bought more pants and shirts," I say going into my own closet behind Marlee.

Marlee sighs and rubs her temple. "No worries. I'll find something," she quickly exits my room and shuts the door. "Just go over to Cedar's right now and get you hair and makeup done," she yells through the door.

I give in and go across the hall.

~•~

After I get my hair into a fancy half up half down do and get my very dark and smoky makeup put on my Celeste, I go back to my room to put on whatever Marlee has planned for me.

"Okay America, I have a really pretty little black dress that will go along with your smoky eye. Or I have a red dress that would bring out your hair even more!" Marlee holds up both dresses and both look like I would be leaving for a stripper bar, not a high school party.

In the end I chose the black one, because it went along with my smoky eye. My hair would stand out no matter what.

The black dress was cut off about five inches above the knee. It barley covered my butt. I kept needing to pull it down again and again. It was fitted and it was a two. I didn't know that I fitted into a two. The waistband was a shiny, black, thin belt. And the top was covered in a lace that didn't stop at the heart shaped neckline. It went up to my neck creating a halter top look.

Marlee comes out of her room the same time I am coming out of mine. She gives me a once over and smiles at her work.

"Girl, you look so hot, boys will be all over you!"