eight

Taking a few steps back to see my whole reflection in the full length mirror hanging in my closet, I smooth out my dress where it slightly bunched at the top of my stomach. I'm wearing a light blue floral maxi dress that's tight to my waist but then flows out and tan flat sandals.

Chicago seems to be going through some sort of heat wave, as it is hotter than hell in this first week of August. Being heavily pregnant doesn't help much with the heat either. The only reason I'm not just wearing the thinnest pair of shorts and the loosest sports bra I have is because my baby shower is today. In fact, it's in half an hour, and I need to leave in like then minutes.

I am super excited for it, but I'm still very upset that my grandma can't be here today. Mom and Dad flew home front Portland last night, and I haven't had a chance to speak with them yet. Also knowing Mom, she won't talk about Grandma at the shower because it's supposed to be about Riley and I. I know Grandma doesn't want me worrying about her either, but I can't help it. She was my rock for over half my life. I can't even begin to think about what it would be like if she passed away. Letting out a heavy sigh, I walk out of the closet, turning off the light as I pass the switch.

"Babe could you turn up the air conditioning please? It's boiling in here," I call to Tobias while waddling through the bedroom and through the hallway into the living room.

I see Tobias's mouth open to protest, but I give him a look and he closes it right away. Instead, he says, "Right away, babe." He walks over to the AC panel and turns it from 67 to 65 degrees.

"Thank you," I murmur, standing on my tippy toes to kiss his cheek. Tobias wraps me into his arms and places a kiss on the top of my head.

"You look gorgeous by the way," he comments and I smile up at him.

"Grassy-ass," I reply with a smile, making Tobias chuckle.

One of his hands settles where my head meets my neck. Leaning down, he says, "My girl is such a weirdo." I don't even have time to giggle at his remark before he crashes his lips to mine. Not that I'm complaining or anything. Tobias mock pouts when I eventually pull back. "You don't have to go."

"Yes I do," I laugh, picking up my purse from the island. Pausing to kiss his cheek on my way to the door, I say, "I love you."

He grabs my head and kisses my forehead. "I love you too," he responds. "Please drive safe."

"I'm a good driver!" I argue. Ever since my car crash when I was sixteen, Tobias loves to give me shit about my driving, even though that wreck was not my fault.

Walking with me to the door, Tobias says, "I know, I just like to tease you." I shake my head at him. He quickly pecks my lips one more time, and then I'm out the door.

Thankfully it doesn't take too long to get to Mom and Dad's. After parking in the driveway, I head inside and see that there is blue everywhere. The girls really outdid themselves. I can also see that Christina followed the celestial theme from Riley's room. Chris squeals when she notices me, and she practically runs over to me.

"You're here!" she exclaims, hugging me.

"It looks amazing in here," I comment, grabbing her hands as she pulls away from the hug.

"It's not too much?" she asks looking around at her work.

After waiting a few seconds, I say, "No."

"Oh God, I knew it was gonna be too much!" Christina covers her hands with her face.

"No! No, Chris, you did a fantastic job. Thank you so much," I insist, grabbing her hands again.