Projects

Dan POV

I yell at them.

I scream at them.

I cried.

I threw things.

I tried to kill Loki.

Unsuccessfully. But I tried.

None of it changed the fact that Ray was gone.

I barricaded myself in our apartment for a week afterward. They promised me that they would find them if I just stayed out of the way. But after a week had passed, I needed to take matters into my own hands.

I told Sarah about this. And that's why I'm here.

Sarah, who has been standoffish for the past two to three weeks, has made friends over the time that we thought she was just focused on the intern program. And these friends... well they aren't the best people to be around.

I haven't met them yet. That's why I'm at the door of a run-down warehouse. But from what Sarah has told me, it's just best to keep our heads down.

"I can't believe you have been associating with these people," I mutter to Sarah after she knocks on the door.

"Well you better hurry up and believe it then. Because these people smell fear," She gives me a look, "Keep your head down... and don't mention the Avengers or SHIELD or anything."

I was about to ask her what she meant, but the door opened.

"Sarah!" says a guy that looked to be about in his twenties, "We haven't seen you in weeks! Boss almost thought you were going to bail on the next job."

Sarah shushes him and punches him in the arm jokingly. She then leans over to his ear and whispers something while pointing back to me.

The guy gives me a look and nods, "Come on. The boss is going to have a heyday with this."

We follow him into the warehouse. People stare at us as we go. Most of them give me murderous looks, but a few wave at Sarah. We follow the guy to an office in the far back corner of the building.

When we reach it, the guy opens the door and we follow him in. But what I see at the desk surprises me.

Behind the desk, is a kid about Ray's age. He had blonde hair and brown eyes. The essence of arrogance and annoyance radiated off of him.

"Dan," says Sarah, "This is Wade. Wade, this is Dan."

I give Wade an unsure look. Upon noticing this he looks me dead in the face and says, "Boo."

I furrow my eyebrows and he just laughs, "Dan, Dan, Dan. I've heard a lot about you," he pauses and looks at the guy who escorted us here, "You can leave now."

The older guy obeys and leaves Sarah and I in the room with his idiot. He looks at Sarah, "Sarah dear, you look good. Where, might I ask, have you been? We were all so worried about you." He lays the sarcasm on thick. Proceeding to get on my nerves.

She gestures to me, "I've been looking after this idiot. I'm still good to go on the job, but," she gives me a look. Then turns back to Wade, "We need help looking for someone. They're name is Ray Parker. Fifteen. Gender fluid. Anything on y'alls radar recently?"

Wade shakes his head and give me a look, "What happened?"

I shrug, "I wasn't there... I should have been, but I wasn't. They were taken and nobody knows where," I give him the best pleading face I have, "Can you really help?"

Wade smirks and looks at Sarah, "Does he know anything about us? About what we do?"

Sarah shakes her head and his eyes gleam, "Well," he smirks, "The only way you get those answers is if you join us."