Breaking Point

Ray POV

I wake up in my bed. I don't remember being here though. Slowly, I start to look back on how I could have gotten here.

Dan.

Embarrassment for my vulnerable state causes my face to go hot and I bury my head under the covers. Maybe if I stay here, I won't have to confront anybody.

My stomach interrupts that half-decent thought. A low grumble reminds me that I hadn't eaten all day yesterday.

"Friday, what time is it?"

"It is 2:34 A.M."

I let out a sigh. No one should be up, and no one should be in my apartment. I could get up, fix something to eat, and be back in bed before anyone noticed. I run the plan over a few times in my head before getting up.

When I get to the kitchen, I make a bowl of tomato soup and put it in the microwave. 

Waiting on my food, I hear footsteps from the hallway. I turn to see Dan emerging into the kitchen/dining room, "What are you doing here?"

I don't mean to sound harsh, but that's how it comes out. I decide to go with it anyways. I still hadn't forgiven him. 

Dan sucks in a sharp breath before responding, "I... I moved back in."

I shake my head. He was supposed to be stuck in med bay until Director Fury could bother to make a visit. The fact that he could just move back in without my permission or knowledge... It was enough to make my blood boil. Shaking my head, I address him, "No you're not."

He furrows his eyebrows and shakes his head, "I didn't ask if I could. I said I moved back. Past tense, Ray."

The microwave beeps and I jump slightly at the sound. He doesn't say anything. It's a new thing for him to stand his ground on anything.

I gather myself and look him dead in the eye, "I'm not going to tell you that I don't want you here. I think you can come to that conclusion on your own. However, I am going to ask you why. Why are you insisting on being here? Why can't you just leave me be like you did before?"

It's like a dam that broke. All of it just comes flooding out, drowning me in all of the pain I've been feeling since Hydra. "Why did you get yourself turned into a monster? Why did you get Sarah killed? Why did you attack the Avengers?" I was mad now, running up to him with my fists balled up, "What is wrong with you?"

I punch him. Once. Then again. Then again, "Why would you make this harder than it had to be?" He doesn't budge. I know that I look like a crying mess. I don't care. I just keep on hitting him, "Why did you leave me?!" I repeat it over and over, "Why did you leave me?"

Exhaustion comes over me, and my punches turn to slapping and pushing and then to hitting his chest. When he finally makes a move, all he does is hold my hands. I don't have the energy to fight him as he pulls my hands down and wraps his arms around me. He engulfs me in a hug and rests his head on top of mine. My tears make his shirt damp, "Why'd you leave me?"

His voice cracks as he speaks, "I... I'm sorry. I'm so... I'm so sorry Ray."

The words cause a new flood of tears to arrive. I ignore them, "Why?"

"I had to," he mutters, "I... We had to, Ray."

"We?"

He sighs, and I know that the explanation that is far over due has finally reached me. Dan lets me go, "I didn't turn myself into a monster, Ray."

"Wh-... What happened?"

"His name is Venom. He's living in me. He's apart of me."

I really hope he's joking. But he doesn't laugh. "You're kidding me right?" I ask him, dumbfounded.