30. merry christmas

"jennifer donna james, where are you hiding?" i heard joe's voice echo off the walls of my bedroom, his footsteps heavy against the old floorboards.

he grew closer to where i was hiding, in the closet, and my breath hitched in my throat. his shadow covered up the slim amount of light coming into the small room through the space between the door and the floor. and within seconds, the door was flung open and joe mazzello had me flung over his shoulder.

"merry christmas to you, too, nerd. now let's go and see what santa's brought you."

i groaned in displeasure as he carried me into my living room and plopped me onto the couch.

katie and tyler had flown home to see their families for christmas, but joe and i stayed back and agreed to spend the day together. i was barely awake when i heard him unlock my apartment door with his spare key from when he babysat bianca during thanksgiving. and that was when i had to hide myself in the closet.

now, here we were, my face contorted with annoyance and joes holding an adorable grin as he motioned towards the many different piles of gifts underneath my christmas tree.

"joe mazzello, i hate you with every inch of my being." i echoed his words from the conversation we'd had not two weeks ago.

he laughed, leaning back against the couch cushions in satisfaction. "can't use my own words against me. besides, they're not all from me. those are from katie, those are from tyler, and those are from your family. i was the one responsible for getting them all to you."

i shook my head, "why didn't tyler and katie wait to give me my presents when they got back? that's what i'm doing."

"because they wanted you to have them on christmas day. they know how much you love today." joe nudged my knee with his, "now get to unwrapping before i let dunkin have a go."

i laughed, reaching out a hand to pet the yellow lab's soft fur. he paused from sniffing around to grin up at me before trotting after bianca.

"i hate opening presents because-" i tried, fingering a small present between my fingers.

joe shushed me and motioned towards the gift in my hands. i cautiously unwrapped the present, grinning when i saw that katie had bought me a new kitchen spatula. it was odd, but an inside joke to one of the many late nights joe, tyler, katie and i had had a month ago.

we were in the kitchen, making pizza in the oven when i reached in to prod at the food with my spatula. the edges of it melted due to the heat in the stove and katie and i cackled our asses off.

the rest of her gifts followed such a theme as to being odd but meaningful. she got me socks with different foods on them, an oscar-shaped sponge, and, finally, an extremely nice- and expensive- bracelet.

tyler has gifted me a a coffee mug with his face on it, a star wars leash and collar set for bianca, a pair of heels i'd spotted at the mall with him a few weeks ago, and a set of earrings that matched the bracelet katie got me.

joe, who was silently observing my actions as i continued to open stuff, swatted my hand away a so reached for the presents from him.

"those last." he instructed, and instead, handed me an envelope.

"more plane tickets?" i joked, tearing open the envelope carelessly. "where to? fiji or greece or- five hundred dollars?"

"that's not from me." joe laughed, pointing at the names below the cards cheesy line.

"dylan and mom and dad." i smiled lightly, stuffing the money back in the cards. "of course."

"your mom called me and asked for hints as to what she should get you and i told her a new mattress. so, i guess she just decided to give you the money for it." joe shrugged as if anything that was happening was no big deal.

"i have so many questions." i gaped as i tossed the envelope onto the coffee table. "my mom has your number? you told her i need a new mattress? what?"

"i've slept in that bed before. remember? when you insisted on sleeping the couch and i couldn't get you to stay in your room, so i just went along with it? you've also been complaining about it for a long time. but we all know you won't just go and buy yourself a new mattress, because you're a weird cheapskate, so hopefully this will motivate you." joe explained, though i was still confused beyond belief. "oh, and, tyler gave her my number."

"oh," i furrowed my eyebrows and opened my mouth to further question him when he shushed me again.

"now it's time for the best part of this all." joes knee shook in anticipation as he handed me the last wrapped box on the table. "i know i said i'd get you a lot of stuff, but i found this and knew you'd love it, so i had to get it, and it was awfully expensive, so i decided just to stick with one thing."

"thank you, joe," i wrapped my arms around his shoulders in a short hug.

joe lifted his shoulders up nonchalantly. "you haven't even opened it yet."

i began to unwrap the paper, "yes, but know that i'll love i- oh, my god, joe."

joe grinned down at me and took the velvet box from my hand. he popped the necklace out it's place and held it gingerly in his hands.

"turn so i can put it on you." he was extremely excited, but i was still shocked.

"how much was this, joe? you have to take it back, i cannot accept this. this is far too expensive- oh, but it's absolutely beautiful, joe. i love it so much, and i can't believe you remembered that i love pearl white and silver together in jewelry. that's such an odd thing to remember, but that's so sweet, joe. oh, my goodness."

joe stared at me with an eyebrow cocked and a smug smile on his lips. "you done?"

"no, joe-"

"turn around." he nudged my shoulder with his hand and i hesitantly did so.

i swept my up between my hands and felt his cold fingers brush against my neck as he clasped the necklace around it. i looked down, placing a gentle hand against the single pearl enclosed in a few diamonds sitting on my chest.

"i can't believe you-"

joe hushed my again, "just give me another hug to display your gratitude."

i laughed at his response, but, nonetheless, embraced him another hug.