31. what mattered

joe_mazzello happy new year 😊 @donnaj

comments have been disabled on this post.

"okay, okay. i have a better one than that excuse for a joke you just told-"

i cut joe off with a loud snort, tripping slightly on the back of my tall heel. he gripped onto my arm, ensuring that i wouldn't fall onto the street as i stabled myself.

"well, whats the joke, then?" i urged him, squeezing my hand around his bicep.

joe huffed and rolled his eyes, "wait just a minute. i was saving you from falling in front of a bus and dying."

"gee, my apologies, joe," i responded, "i should be worshipping the very ground you walk on, responding to your every demand. yet, here i am, urging you to tell what is probably the stupidest joke- in the world."

joe tugged his arm away from me, struggling to hold back the grin and loud laugh that danced on the tip of his tongue. i stopped and placed my hands on my hips.

joe crosses his arms, a stern expression coming across his face. i grinned as he opened his mouth and began to sing, "love of my life, you've hurt me."

"oh, my god." i pressed a hand over my mouth, eyes widening as joe put on a heartbroken expression.

he twirled around the sidewalk, leaning against a lamppost with his fist cupped as a microphone. "you've broken my heart and now you leave me!"

"joe!"

"love of my life, can't you see!"

"joe, oh, my god! stop!"

joe opened his squinted eyes and he grabbed my free hand. i yelped as joe pulled me through the open space between us and i hit his chest.

"dance with me?" he grinned, his hands moving to my hips.

i rolled my eyes and squeezed his shoulders. i let a small smile grow back on my face as i continued the song, "bring it back, bring it back..."

we began to pace side to side, dancing along to the music muttered from our lips. when the song ended, our voices faded out, but we didn't stop dancing.

smiles ghosted our lips as joe unconsciously pulled me closer. i rested my head against his chest, breathing in the sweet smell of his cologne.

suddenly, as if the entire street were joining in on one another's parties, the seconds until the new year began to be shouted from every corner.

i pulled my head back to glance up at joe, who's eyes were peering into the window of the bar beside us.

"we have nine seconds." he murmured.

"now seven."

"how do you feel?"

"like a million bucks."

"i'm glad i get to spend the first second of the new year with you."

"three."

"and i-"

"joe, shut up and kiss me."

it wasn't exactly on time, perhaps five or so seconds into 2017, but either way, the time stamp didn't exactly matter.

what mattered was the soft flicker of his eyes as he glanced to my lips, the gentle way he squeezed my hip, the tug of emotion that tethered me into his chest- further, if at all possible, to his heart- the slow nudge of his nose against my cheek, and his hesitance as his bottom lip hit the space between my own, his top brushing the skin of my mouth.

what mattered was he kissed me.