43. disco deaky

what's that? sorry, i can't hear you over the sound of my time machine.

—

"i got it! i got the part! holy shit, i got the part! donna! donna! please come hold me before i start sobbing!"

the rate of my heart quickened quite rapidly as soon as the first shout emitted from the kitchen. i flinched in return, my body peeling itself from the couch in order to run into the room quickly.

"what? what- wait? really? joe!" the words processed in my mind as i stepped into the room, my hands shaking from fear turned excitement.

joe reached across the open space between us and tugged me into his arms. "holy shit, i'm shaking, i'm so excited! i cannot even believe this hap- holy shit!"

"you're gonna be disco deaky," i laughed into his chest, squeezing tightly to his torso.

joe pulled back slightly, his eyebrows quirking together. "what?"

"disco deaky. that's what everyone calls him. cause he dances all the time." i explained the nickname, my hips bopping side to side at my last sentence.

"holy shit, i love you-" joe pressed me back against his body.

my eyes went wide at the three words that oh, so carelessly slipped from his lips. i bit my lip, willing myself not to cry at the minuscule detail. "r-really?"

joe, who slowly realized what he had said, dropped his hands from my back and stepped away. "y-eah."

he ran a fidgety hand across the top of his head, making it messier than it already was. i grinned up at him, quickly cupping his cheeks and kissing him sloppily.

"i love you, too."

"now, if you will, please raise your glasses to joe mazzello, my devilishly handsome and dazzlingly charming boyfriend, who is going to kill it in this queen biopic!"

i leaned into joe as he wrapped an arm across my back and pressed a kiss to my forehead. tyler's glass clinked against my own, then joes, then katie's. i did the same to all three of them.

"i can't believe you're going to be working with roger taylor. that's insane." katie swallowed the bitter champagne quickly, emptying the contents from her shute.

"you know who that is?" joe plopped down beside me on the couch, my knees nearly ending up on top of his own as i fell sideways slightly.

i giggled and stabled myself, "of course she does. we were all born mid-eighties. that was when queen was most popular, i think. my mom was obsessed with them. so was katie's."

"plus, we used to jam out to queen in set all the time." she added with a quirk of her head.

"oh, i remember the days of listening to bohemian rhapsody on repeat. those were the days." tyler nostalgically stared off into the distance.

joe set his head against my own and drifted his fingers across my shoulder. "do you have a favorite member?"

"mines obviously roger taylor. he's hot as fuck." katie replied quickly. "well, he used to be, at least."

we laughed at her addition, then turned to tyler, who said, "freddie mercury, hands down. he is legitimately the greatest man to have ever lived. i mean, jesus, those vocals, that smile, and his fearlessness was amazing."

"have you got the hots for freddie mercury?" i smirked at my best friend, nudging him with my foot.

tyler brushed it off with a roll of his eyes. he sipped more of his champagne before directing his chin towards me. "what about you? who's your favorite? i know you said it once, but i can't remember..."

my eyes glared hard at tyler as he teased me with his villainous words. he knew very well who my favorite queen member was. when i was little, i begged my mom to play the instrument he did, simply because he played it. and, when i discovered he was married- ten years before i was even born- i was absolutely devastated.

"is it john deacon? is that why he's messing with you?" joe tapped my shoulder, causing me to twist and look at him.

"er-" i blushed, playing with the hem of his hoodie, which sat around my figure. "actually- it-it was brian may."

"you know, for some reason, i am genuinely hurt that you favorited brian may over my man john."

my hand paused from scrubbing the foundation off my face, my body leaning towards the door the bathroom to hear joe better. i rolled my eyes when his words registered in my mind, and i quickly finished washing my face.

"seriously?" i flicked the light of and propped against the door, a hand on my hip.

joe shuffled underneath the covers of his bed, a grim expression on. "seriously. i mean, what does brian may have that john deacon doesn't?"

i huffed, laying down beside him. "joe, this is so stupid. i was literally six years old when i had a crush on him."

"yeah, but six year olds are pretty aware of stuff. so, cmon then, tell me why brian may is better." he turned to face me on his side, a hand flung over my stomach.

i fumbled with his fingers, staring up at the ceiling. "i can't even remember why i liked him so much. maybe it was his curly hair, or the fact that he was so bad ass at playing the guitar, or maybe because- i don't even know! i just liked him, okay?"

joe pulled me closer to him, "well, can you learn to like john deacon? for me?"

"joe, if you're playing john deacon, than i fucking love him."