Chapter 31- Zoe

Warning: mentions of child neglect and abuse, this is only for story purposes I am very much against both

Natalie POV:

Of all the cases I could be assigned to today. I can't believe I got assigned to Zoe's.

"How.... how am I going to tell her?" I ask Will after looking at her results again.

"Do you want me to help?" He asks as he rubs my back.

"Yeah... thanks..."

I'm in shock. She doesn't deserve this. No one deserves this. She's gonna be devastated. And she has no one to care for her.

"Hey, Zoe, this is Dr. Halstead. We have your test results... okay?"

"Okay!" She says cheerfully, not knowing what awaits her.

"So, I want you to know that the tests told us something quite scary... and we're gonna start you in treatment as soon as we can, okay?"

She slowly nods her head as she looks at us worriedly. I grab her hand to try and keep her calm.

"Zoe, you... you..." I start before I feel tears welling up in my eyes.

"Zoe, you have cancer. Leukemia to be exact... stage 3... we're really sorry..." Will finishes up for me.

"So... I'm going to lose my hair?" She asks on the verge of tears.

"Y... yeah, but I know how you feel..."

"No you don't! You aren't gonna lose all your hair! You aren't dying!" She shouts before breaks down into tears.

"Actually I am dying. And I did lose my hair." I say as I take my beanie off.

"Y... you have cancer? Like me?"

"Exactly like you... leukemia stage 3."

"D... does it hurt?" She asks nervously.

"Nope, I mean besides getting the IV but you've already been through that." I say motioning towards the IV in her arm.

"My social worker is gonna abandon me! She always does when kids get scary diagnosis!" She cries.

"Hey, look at me. You can stay with Will and I if she does, alright? We will not let her abandon you, okay?"

She slowly nods as she reaches out and feels my head. She looks surprised when she realizes just how bald I really am.

"C... can we call her? She told me to call her when I found out why I'm sick..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I CANT BELIEVE YOU WENT AND GOT CANCER. I TOLD YOU WHAT WOULD HAPPEN!" Her social worker shouts angrily over the phone, "I HOPE YOU KNOW THAT YOU WILL NOT BE COMING BACK TO MY CARE! IM THROUGH WITH YOU!"

I see tears in Zoe's eyes as we hang up the phone. I gently place my hand on her back to try and calm her down. She flinches before relaxing into the touch.

"Zoe, we'll be right back, okay? We're just gonna figure out a treatment plan and arrangements for you..." I say before I pull Will into the doctor's lounge.

"Will we need to adopt her." I blurt out once the door closes.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

AN: I hope you guys enjoyed! Sorry I haven't updated in a while, things have been pretty hectic. I have big plans for this story, so stay turned!

Also as said in the warning. I do not approve of child neglect or abuse. I'm using it simply for story purposes. If you know anyone who is experiencing either of these get them help. It is not something to be taken lightly.