Chapter Three

G R E G : F O U R D A Y S L A T E R

Letting Elliot's voicemail fill the room again I fell back onto my bed. I had left her twenty seven voicemails and stopped by her house a couple times over the past few days. She hadn't answered the phone or the door. "Elliot," I sighed. "I understand that you hate Sarah and I used to too. She's different now, though. You of all people know that I wouldn't be with her if she was still like that. I just want you to know that the other night was not her fault. It was mine. I totally forgot. I'm sorry. We really need to talk. I love you," I said before hanging up.

This was new to me. Elliot had gotten mad at me before but not to the extent that she ignored me for this long - or ever. That night when I glanced up from Sarah's face to see Elliot my heart sank. I had never felt so guilty. It felt wrong, almost as if I should've shoved Sarah to the side and embraced Elliot.

By now I would've used my key to let myself in her house but it was missing. I assumed Elliot had taken it but I didn't see her swipe it from my key chain. "Hey, Sarah?" I called from my bedroom.

She waltzed in wearing only one of my shirts that wasn't close to being long enough for her to walk around in. I immediately looked down at my hands. I felt strange looking at her when she was wearing hardly anything. I don't understand why, though. I wouldn't usually. But then again, I didn't usually invite my closest friend's nemesis' over to walk around my house half naked. "Yeah?"

"Have you seen a key laying around anywhere? It's black, a little 'E' drawn on the front."

She shook her head. "Sorry, no. I haven't. What's it for?"

"Nothin'. Don't worry about it. Let me know if you see it, okay?"

E L L I O T :

I laid in bed and held my phone to my ear, listening to Greg's last voicemail. I missed him insanely but I was still determined to make him understand what the hell I was feeling. "Maybe I should call him," I whispered to myself. "But what would I say? 'Hey, love you too. Let's go to VidCon skipping and holding hands.' Hell no."

I sat up and dialed his number. The suspense was killing me. "Hello?" A voice asked, it wasn't Greg's. "Hello?"

"Who is this?" I asked.

"Who is this?" They mimicked.

I shrugged sarcastically. "Why don't you check the fucking caller ID, jack ass?" A muffled voice neared, most likely Greg. Whoever was speaking to me became more distant until Greg answered.

"Elliot?" He answered, obviously surprised.

"Hey, we need to talk..."

He laughed softly. "Yeah, I know. Thank you for calling. Had I known I wouldn't have let Sarah answer. Can we grab lunch? The regular place at noon?"

"Yeah, of course. I'll see you then."

"Before you hang up, what about VidCon?" He offered.

"I'll go." I said quickly.

I nervously tapped my foot on the floor of the bakery. I was dreading seeing Greg for the first time in forever. "Miss, can I get you anything?" The waitress asked for the tenth time before getting my attention. My head snapped up to receive her annoyed glare. "Um, chocolate chip muffin please." She nodded and walked off towards the counter. The bell signaling the door chimed and in walked Greg. I began to wave at him when I saw he was holding the hand of Sarah.

They slid into the seat across the table from me and Greg smiled apologetically, gesturing towards Sarah. I knew what he was trying to say. I shrugged as if to say, "Oh, well."

"So, about VidCon-"

"I'll go!" I shouted eagerly. I ignored all the heads that turned my way. I didn't care what they thought. I was finally going to VidCon. Greg grinned widely while Sarah scowled.

"I can only bring one person and you both seem interested, but I have to choose Elliot. I've promised her for a while. Besides, Ell would enjoy it more." He said.

Sarah rolled her eyes and let out a puff. "Ugh. I still don't understand why you can't just pay for me to go."

"Well, you see what happened was-" I started to tell her off when Greg interrupted.

"What Elliot means to say is that maybe you could stay in our hotel room while Elliot and I went to the actual event. Would you like that?"

She bit her bottom lip and nodded. Jesus Christ.

So all of a sudden the plan had gone from pushing Sarah to the side and now inviting her to go. What the hell was that? Greg glanced up at me from Sarah's gaze and tightly smiled. "Greg, are you kidding me?" I snapped.

He shrugged. "What are you talking about?"

I glared at him. "You know exactly what I'm talking about. Why is the princess welcome to crash our party?" I ignored whatever remarks Sarah was making or what looks she was giving me. I didn't care if she knew how I hated her - if anything I wanted her to. Why should she get to treat me awfully in front of Greg but I had to watch my mouth? Yes, my insults weren't hidden like hers and they were definitely more blunt but that's who I am. No shame.

"Babe, can Ell and I have a moment alone?" Greg asked Sarah. She nodded and slid out of the booth and he smiled at her like a puppy. Once she was out of earshot, he leaned over and crossed his arms over the table. "What the fuck are you trying to do?"

"What am I trying to do? Seriously? I am not the one at fault here - that's you. So what if I offended her? She'll get over it."

He sighed deeply and ran his hands through his thick brown locks. "Elliot. I am finally happy with someone. Why can't you accept that? I'm not asking you to like her or be her best friend, just that you won't kill her or make anymore comments at her expense. I will control her if you can hold it together at VidCon. If you're that upset about it, don't go. I'm not dealing with anymore goddamn drama."

Greg had never been so straight forward with me. It was bittersweet. I finally knew exactly what he was feeling but it wasn't good. Nodding, I put on the biggest smile I could. "Alright, I'll manage. I really didn't like that she was all of a sudden invited, that's all. I thought it would just be the two of us."

He reached across the table, rubbing my forearm. "I need you guys to get along, I'm serious about this one. I promise it won't be that bad."