Chapter Five

O N E   W E E K   L A T E R

I had been staying  with Shane for the past week after Greg and Sarah had decided to extend the vacation and they were my way home. Yes, I could have easily found another form of transportation but after Shane offered to let me stay with him, I wasn't going to mention that. Shane said he didn't have anywhere to be and was more than happy to spend extra time with me. I hadn't been as happy during that week since a forever ago.

 I had fallen asleep every night with Shane holding me, it seemed to be the only way to get me to sleep. I loved waking up in the morning and seeing him. Somehow after only a week, I was falling hard for him. It didn't make my feelings for Greg any less prominent, though.

Shane's eyes fluttered open and his cheeks burned red. "Good morning, Ell." Our lips were inches apart. Butterflies flew around my stomach, causing me to blush redder than Shane. I was dared to lean in, just to feel his lips against mine for a moment, but I couldn't.  I was too afraid. 

 I quickly sat up and grinned. "Morning, loser. You kept me up all night."

  "Are you just going to act like you didn't feel that too?" He asked.

 "Feel what?" I questioned, standing up and making my way to the bathroom. He leaned back on his elbows, watching me walk away.

  He scoffed. "Elliot, you can't tell me that you haven't felt anything this entire week."

  "Well, it would be easier to talk about this if I knew what it was," I said, trying to sound innocent.

 He came up behind me, leaning against the door frame. "You know what I'm talking about. It isn't like we look at each other like family. You've seen how I look at you and so has everyone else."

 I looked up at him. "Yeah, do you have a point?" I asked angrily, fighting back tears for some inexplicable reason. I was becoming so soft. 

 "Is there something you aren't telling me?" 

"What do you mean?"

 "When was the last time you were with anyone?"

 "A long time ago," I answered shortly, attempting to push through him. 

 He caught my arm and drug me back. "Was it Greg?"

 "Was what Greg? Why does he always have to come up in our conversations?" I swallowed the lump in my throat and thanked God for letting me seem stronger that I was.

"Elliot."

 I couldn't stop the tears from streaming down this time. "What, Shane? What do you want me to tell you? I fell in love years ago with someone I expected to marry and he abandoned me? That I fell for my best friend but I'm becoming invisible? I can't let myself love anyone else, I just can't." Shoving past him, I grabbed my suitcase and started packing. 

He followed me, unpacking everything I folded and put into my suitcase. "I won't hurt you."

"You don't know that."

 "Yes I do."

 "Why did you assume I was with Greg?" I asked coldly, still packing what he took apart.

 Shane shrugged and continued unfolding clothes and returning them to their hangers in the closet. "I don't know how far its gone, but you definitely have some sort of feelings for him. It isn't rocket science."