Chapter 4 : Frightening runaway

The next morning, I heard screaming and crying in the other room. I wonder why they were so noisy at this time.

"What is going on?" I asked as I lifted my body off the bed and walked out of the room. I saw my family staring at a corner of the room; it was Tina's corner...

I started to cry as well, Tina was gone...

We called the police and by the look of it, Tina ran away, I'm sure she was sick of these problems and of people dying every day, but we could've been there for her. The police checked everywhere in the forest, they could get no trace of her.

"This is terrible!" Mom shouted

"Mom, everyone here feels the same and crying doesn't solve anything, I suggest that late at night we start searching and find the answer to these mysteries, no matter who dies next, we have to continue walking, no matter how much we want to cry, we have to keep going. I will not rest until I find the answer to these mysteries and so should you" said Adophine

"I agree with Adophine, we can't just stand here and do nothing" Berna agreed

"Me too, it's up to us to solve our own mysteries and fight" I said.

"I guess you guys are right, but we would probably die on the way. If we do, continue your path and remember that your ancestors will be proud of you all" said Mom.

"We should be ready and pack then, " said Dad.

Late at night, we traveled into the forest packed with most of our food and some lanterns.

We walked and walked searching for anything that seemed like a clue.

"What exactly are we searching for?" I asked

"Anyone or anything that seems suspicious, something that could lead us to a clue" replied Berna.

"I...I can't go further" said Mom

"Mom! Are you okay? What's wrong?" I asked

"I'm...too...weak" she replied before falling to the ground

"Mom! Please, try to push yourself, for us?"  begged Berna

"She can't walk anymore, she's been pushing herself a lot since this morning," said Adophine and walking away.

"I forced myself enough, I walked a long way and I can't go further, but keep in mind I love you all equally...be careful" those were the last words of Mom.

"Mom!" I shouted but it was no use, she was gone.

"Adophine, you act like you don't even care!" cried Berna.

"I do!" replied Adophine, she never liked that someone would accuse her with wrong information about herself.

"Girls, we don't want this kind of talk right in front of this situation. Someday, I would have to pass away too, it's life" said Dad, his voice was calm but I sensed his sadness. 

We all hugged him and kept quiet. We learned a whole lot of things after that situation, like how to find food, hunt and defend ourselves. We couldn't do anything for Mom, our pills would do worse for her and we couldn't afford a doctor, we were poor. Mom had this virus since the day of the funeral. The only thing that we could do for her was to keep her somewhere safe and wish that the forest's spirit would take her back.

 The only thing that we could do for her was to keep her somewhere safe and wish that the forest's spirit would take her back