Chapter 9

“What did you say to him?” Daisy asked Luke as she stood in the kitchen making them both a sandwich. Walking over to the fridge and pulling out the butter, cheese and a tomato, she gave him a questioning look when he didn’t answer. “Here, slice that tomato and then grate some cheese.” She threw the tomato to him and pulled out a knife from the drawer and began to butter the bread. He shrugged and did as she asked, and when he’d finished, he pulled himself up on the countertop.

        “I didn’t say anything.” Daisy passed him his sandwich and sat at the table to eat hers. She raised an eyebrow and shook her head as she took a bite of her sandwich. “He just said he was leaving.”

        “Why don’t I believe that?” she asked, watching him as he ate.

        “Maybe because you don’t trust enough?” he shrugged again.

        “Why do I need to trust you? What did you do?”

        He raised his hands in protest. “I told you, I didn’t do anything. He just came up to me before I got out of the car and told me he had to go.”

        Daisy was confused. Why would he agree to come back here and then leave without coming in? She’d spent the last twenty four hours playing it over in her mind. Was it something that she had said? But then, why was she so bothered? She shook her head, ridding it of thoughts of Lee; she barely knew him.

        The wake had gone well. There’d been no arguments and Jarvis hadn’t turned up, which was a start. Daisy wondered what her problem was. She’d never even seen the woman before she’d turned up to tell her of Brandon’s death. She’d also asked Kurt about Brandon again and Kurt had brushed it off. He didn’t think it was time. It was all so raw and Daisy didn’t need the stress of knowing all of that yet. Everyone had left after a couple of hours and the house had felt empty. Not knowing what to do with herself, Daisy had just taken herself up to bed.

        Luke watched her stare at the walls. He watched as her face turned from confusion to anger to upset.  What was she thinking?

        “How are you feeling today?” he asked, breaking her out of her reverie. Her head snapped up and she looked at him for a second before answering.

        “Oh. Um, yeah, I’m fine. Kurt and Danny will be here soon; they’re taking me out.”

        “Why do you call him Danny?” he pondered. His name was Darren; he couldn’t see the connection between the two names.

        Daisy shrugged. “I just thought he looked like a Danny. And it stuck.”

        “But his name’s Darren. There’s not much difference between the names anyway.”

        Daisy shrugged again and wiped her hands having finished the sandwich and stood up, placing her plate in the sink. “I dunno. When I met him, I misheard him when he told me his name, so he’s Danny to me.”

        There was a knock at the door and Daisy answered and a smile crossed her face as she saw Kurt and Darren at the door.

        “Hey, Beautiful.” Kurt’s voice echoed through the hallway as he pulled her into a hug and Danny did the same.

        “So, where are we going?” she asked, as she grabbed her coat. “I can’t wait to get out of here.”

        Kurt looked at her, suspiciously. “What’s wrong?” he asked. 

        “Nothing” she lied, faking a smile.

        “Hmm” He sighed. “Come on, then. It’s a surprise.” And he ushered her out the door.