Chapter 1

“Have we got everything ready for today?” Daisy asked Lindsay as they began to set up the room with all the decorations ready for Brandon’s homecoming. That question must have already been asked at least 4 times in the last hour and Daisy could see Lindsay was getting quite annoyed with answering it.

     “Yes! Now stop stressing. I know you’re excited and want this to go well, but all he’ll care about is coming home to you.” Lindsay replied, rolling her eyes at the question.

     Taking a step backwards, Daisy began to scan the room, taking in the features. The tall walls were painted cream with pictures of hers and Brandon’s wedding dotted around and the chocolate sofas were pushed back against the walls, allowing room for dancing. Dimming the light her eyes slowly adjusted to them as she noticed the small fire burning on one side of the wall, next to a rocking chair. To her left there was a large dining table, with several chairs around it and a vase full of flowers situated in the centre of the table. The cold wooden floor warmed up with a rug and the lit candles on the walls accentuated the cream walls.

     Daisy sighed in contentment and decided to go upstairs to get ready for the guests to arrive. Standing in front of her wardrobe, she began to look through for something to wear, pulling out several dresses and modelling them in front of the full length mirror before throwing them on the bed in disgust. Finally settling on a red halter neck party dress with black flowery details and a black strip under the bust, she slipped into it, tying the strap around her neck and examined herself.

     Sitting down at the dressing table, she pulled out her hair curlers and make-up and looked in the mirror. The blonde haired girl staring back looked older than her years. Her pale expression evident and her eyes once full of life stared back listlessly. Her once chubbier face was now thin and exhausted. 6 months of worrying about Brandan had really taken its toll.

     “Do you want me to help?” Daisy jumped at the voice and turned around to find Lindsay was stood leaning against the door, watching. “You look a little lost”

     A nod told Lindsay that she’d like some help and Daisy turned back to the mirror as her sister sat on the bed behind her and started on her hair, curling strand by strand.

     “How do you feel about him coming home?” Lindsay asked as she applied the finishing touches to Daisy’s hair before starting on the make-up.

    Daisy grinned, thinking about Brandan and those bright blue eyes and his dark brown hair. The tattoo of the Northern star on his chest reminded her of the day he got it. He’d insisted he wanted something to remind him of her when he got sad and lonely out in Afghanistan and when she’d told him it didn’t matter about a silly tattoo, he’d gone and done it anyway.

     “It’s been 6 long months, Linds” Daisy told her with a hint of sadness in her voice. “Every second without him has been torture. I don’t want to spend another moment away from him like this.” A tear trickled down her cheek and Lindsay brushed it away before it ruined the make-up.

      “I know, I’ve seen you. Traipsing around the house at all hours like a little love sick puppy.”

     Daisy giggled, embarrassed.

     “Hey, there’s nothing to be embarrassed about, he’s your husband.”

     Lindsay finished doing Daisy’s hair and the doorbell rang, signalling that the first of their guests had arrived.

     Standing up, Daisy hugged Lindsay tight before rushing down the stairs to see who was at the door.

     “Daisy!” a voice squealed as the door opened revealing Daisy’s best friend, Brandon’s sister Jade with her husband and Jade and Brandon’s parents. Jade pulled her into a hug before pulling back and looking at the dress. “Damn, Daisy, my brother is going to be one lucky man tonight”