Chapter 25

“Daisy, I’m sorry!” Lee stood in Daisy’s front garden with a bunch of her favourite flowers, and for the past fifteen minutes had been shouting his apologies in to her. “I’m sorry, I should have told you, I’m sorry I didn’t, but it’s hard! Please come out and listen to me!”

        The front door swung open and Luke stood leaning against the doorframe. “She doesn’t want to see you” he told him, irritation evident in his voice. “I’ve told you the same thing every day for the last week. No, she doesn’t want to see you, and no, I don’t know why, but whatever you’ve done, it must be bad because Daisy’s not one to bottle up her problems. If she’s got a problem with someone, she’ll tell them.”

        Luke felt sorry for Lee, he was really trying and Daisy just didn’t want to know. Every day for the last week, he’d turned up at the door with flowers, bunch after bunch and hadn’t left until he knew for sure that she was okay. Dark circles under his eyes, his face pale, he hadn’t slept at all in the eight days since he’d seen her last. 

        Lee ran a hand over his face and sighed. He wanted nothing more than to have Daisy back in his arms and to never let her go again. The past week without her had been torture for him and he couldn’t bear another second without her knowing how he felt for her. Pulling from his jacket pocket a crisp white envelope, he tapped it against his hand nervously before passing it to Luke. “I know what I did, I just… just tell her I’m sorry and…please give this to her and tell her that no matter how long she takes to decide what she wants, I’ll be waiting.”

        He turned and walked away, his heart breaking with each step. “Wait.” Luke stopped him and Lee turned to face the house once more. He could see the sympathy plastered over Luke’s face, as though he understood what was going on without actually knowing the details. “You’ll sort it out, I know you will.” He told him and offered a weak smile before stepping back inside the house, closing the door behind him.

        Luke turned and slumped against the door, holding the envelope tightly in his hand. Wondering whether he should give it to Daisy, he sighed, “You’re going to have to talk to him at some point.” He said to the empty living room. Daisy stepped slowly into the room, checking first that Lee wasn’t there.

        Her appearance matched Lee’s. In the week since she’d seen Lee last, she’d not once left the house, her messy hair fell down to her shoulders, make up and a hairbrush things of the past. Sleep was also a rarity, her mind on more important things. “You’re also going to need to brush your hair at some point too.” Luke pointed out. “Jade’s home now, remember, and she needs our help settling back in.”

        “That seems to have been your job.” Daisy spat and brushed past him, making her way up the stairs.

        “And what’s that supposed to mean?” he asked, a spiteful tone in his voice.

        “Exactly what I said.” She turned on the stairs and glared at him. “Ever since she got ran over, you’ve constantly been by her side like a vulture. I agree that she needs someone with her, it’s been a big shock for her and I’m not going to deny that, but what about the rest of us? You’re controlling who sees her and when and we’re her friends. It’s not healthy, Luke. She doesn’t need molly-coddling. She’s twenty years old for God’s sake! Give her some space! She needs all of us, not just you. She also needs to sort things out with Steve. They’ve both lost a child here, not just her. They need to sort it out between them and if you’re there constantly up her arse, they’re not going to get the chance.” Without waiting to hear what Luke would reply, Daisy continued her plight up the stairs, slamming her bedroom door behind her.