//49//

Look at his tongue and tell me you didn't feel yourself exploding.

HOLY CRAP LOUIS LOVE ME

Louis’ POV

            “Sleep love.” I whispered, the entirety of the cabin falling completely silent to the soft brushes of snores and people moving restlessly against their scratchy airplane blankets.

            There was no answer from her side though, just the outline of her teeth against her lip as she tried to stifle the tears that had just continued to pour down on her beautiful face.

            “Lydia, sweetheart. Please just try to sleep, please.” I nearly begged her, willing to do anything just to have her catch a moment of rest. Her head just shaking slowly as green eyes stared at something unknown right above my head. Just the small glimmer of the tears staining her cheeks to reflect off the nearly nonexistent lighting.

            Eight hours in a plane. Eight excruciating hours where she would only speak in a scratchy voice to ask for water, or to use the loo.

            No communication, it was like I’d lost her even though she was right here. My hands only touching skin, but words lost in translation between the borders of the life I’d carelessly forgotten about.

            “M’going to go-“ it was the most she’d spoken in four hours. The dried tears reverberating in her shaky voice, the sharp melody lost in the depths of her heart as only the darkest version of her displayed itself to me in a heartbreaking reality.

            “Stop it Lydia. Stop it right now. Look at me, just me.” I didn’t mean for it to come out as the harsh growl that it did, her head snapping my way and the chaos of curls falling in and out of place on top of her muddled head. Hauntingly green eyes masked with the stain of tears and the quality of a thousand stars shining against them in pools of terrifying heartbreak.

            It was almost like we were meeting eyes as strangers, her own searching my face for an ounce of recognition as I wandered over the fragments of colors that were so warped they almost became threatening.

            “Louis.” I stopped short, my hand moving from its position against the inside of her knee to the top of her thigh.

            The dark pools of nighttime shining from her window and giving us our only bit of security that were still on Earth, we were still breathing together.

            I meant to ask her why she said, I really had every intention of listening until my ears ran red and raw. It was the only thought in my head the past ten hours, the only thing that consumed me completely besides her, which was why I should have seen her lips moving over my name in a question of trust. Something she needed to know and I hadn’t realized until she’d asked it again, in a much different way.

            It was hesitant at first, her fingers clasped around my wrists gently like she was afraid of touching me. Hot breath floating against my own lips as my eyes closed instinctively and I waited for her to make the decision.

            Never would it take long with us, decisions flying in spans of countless hours of thought when we were both awake at night, but too scared to check. The days when we were just understanding each other. The moments when I knew she was awake against me, but I was too afraid to tell her the things that had shaped my life.