Chapter 31

Not About Angels- Birdy

Skinny Love- Birdy

Good Enough- Little Mix

*NIALLS POV*

I wake up to a heavy hand pressing down on my shoulder. It feels like needles on my skin, repeatedly stabbing me like I'm getting a tattoo.

It's not Harley, I can tell. Her hands are soft and gentle, not heavy and rough like the one squeezing my shoulder.

"Wake up." A raspy woman's voice instructs.

What the fuck?

"Harley?" I mumble as I roll over, despite the fact I know it's not her, only to find an old woman who resembles Betty White but with red hair standing in front of me.

"Where's Harley?" I ask the strange woman.

"She's not here." She grunts. Her eyes slightly roll as she speaks. She grabs my hand and abruptly pulls me to my feet. I stumble to stand, but it doesn't phase the lady. Who is this woman? Where is Harley?

"Who are you?" I ask.

"Beatrice. I'm your new nurse."

My stomach drops and my feet feel like cement blocks beneath my body. What does she mean? Where's Harley?

"What?"

"I'm your new nurse. Now come on, you need your breakfast and medicines." She groans. She definitely smokes. I can smell it on her. It burns in my nose like acid. My parents used to smoke, and I always hated it.

Panic starts to set in, and I feel my palms begin to sweat and shake.

"What do you mean? Where's Harley? Is she coming back? Where is she?" I blabber, trying to find out where she is. My eyes frantically search the room for any signs of Harley. She's here, she has to be. She said she would! Maybe she's at home sick, though?

She pulls me into the hallway and I look over my shoulders and into the rooms as we pass by them, searching for the brown hair I love.

"Niall, I am your new nurse, okay? I don't know who or where Harley is."

"Harley is my nurse, not you." I defend. She's pulling me down the hallways, but I pull my wrist free from her and stop in my tracks.

"No." I grunt louder than I had planned. I stand my ground defensively, like a Rottweiler, and refuse to move.

"Yes. Come on." She reaches for my hand, but I pull away.

"Where's Harley?!" I scream at her. I can't help it. I'm pissed off and very confused and I just want Harley to be here. I refuse to go anywhere with this woman until I know where Harley is and why she's not here.

"She's gone, Niall. I don't know who she is, but she's gone and I'm here now. Sorry, but you had better get used to me."

Gone?

She can't be gone.

What does gone even mean? Gone or now? Gone forever? Gone out for the day? Gone can mean so many different things!

She's coming back, she has to.

This has to be a bad dream. There's no other explanation. If I make a big enough fuss, I will wake myself up and everything will be okay.

"No! Bring me to her! Where is she!" I yell, and I hear other nurses and doctors coming over to me.

"Niall, calm down." She comes up to me and tries to put her hands in my hair, just over my forehead where my bangs hang down.