Chapter 1: Can't Find the Sun ☀️

Adam (POV): Everyday is the same, it feels like a broken record. I wake up. Brush my teeth, brush my hair, seeing the same embroidery everyday. Bathe in a twenty four carat gold bathtub, which is ridiculously large, even though I never share it with anyone. 

A maid named Ava knocks on the door to warn me she's coming in with fresh clothes. I tell her it's fine to come into the premises. Ava is always silent and never really converse with me. Ava has a oval shaped face, with brown hair that rest to her shoulders. She has dark brown eyes and small lips. Her skin was somewhat tanned from picking fruits and vegetables from our garden. Her behavior on the other hand was...interesting. Sometimes I wonder if she's human. She shows no flaws in her character when I'm around her. Maybe she's just afraid of getting on my bad side. Even though I can't really harm her, at any capacity, however my parents can. My parents have very cold ways. I speak from experience, sometimes I wish I could runaway, but I wouldn't dare harm Ava. She's been taking care of me ever since I could remember. She's more like a mother, than my biological one. 

I get taken out of thought as Ava ask me how I got a scar on my back. Sighing, I look at her and tell her it wasn't the kids this time, it was my father. Ava had a mixed expression of shock and worry in her eyes. It was only then I would catch a glimpse of human in her, every time I told her a tragic experience. I didn't want to keep her in the blue, so I continued and told her the events that transpired.

 I had been studying for seven hours, I was starting to doze off and didn't finish my last lesson about the country's economy. My father was looking for a book that he would need in a political meeting he had to attend later that evening. While he was looking for that book he wanted to check on my progress, so he walked down the study hall and saw me asleep with my head laying on the desk. He became infuriated and grabbed a metal ruler from the table I was sitting at and strikes my back with such force, I wake with a scream it was so painful, I couldn't exhale and my eyes start to water. He started to scold me about how I should take my learning seriously, or the world will devour me. 

Ava still looks concerned about my relationship with my father, I tell her that I'm fine and there's nothing to worry about, even though I knew myself that everything wasn't okay and that I was afraid myself, afraid of disappointing my family, afraid of not succeeding everyone else's expectations, it was scary. It was like I was at the bottom of the food chain and if I didn't gain power I'd be eaten alive. 

After my under garments were on I started to dress myself, Ava tries to assist me, but I tell her I'm old enough to clothe myself she listens and backs off just for a little bit, until I grab my tie. I roll my eyes as she impulsively gestures to help me. I hand Ava the fabric she takes it from me and raps the tie around my collar and starts forming a knot to make a tie. Then I walk out the bathroom and towards my coat hanger that was right next my to ebony door. I ponder, wondering if I should take my long coat tail jacket, but I doubt that I would even set foot outside today because of all the laborious work I had to take part in. I scoffed at the thought of it, eventually I slid on my dress shoes and walked out the door into the main hall. The hall was heavenly illuminated by the five large windows, I could smell breakfast from the kitchen, each step I took a new scent filled my nose. While I'm heading to the dining room I hear a loud crash, I run to the kitchen entrance and open the door. There were shards from a broken plate all over the floor. A maid standing in the corner of the kitchen was looking down, swallowed up in guilt. I could easily see through her and tell she was the cause for this accident. I inhale and tell the workers, "Please be careful with the silverware. My mother would be so furious, she could sizz a kettle pot if she finds out her ivory plates have been ruined." Everyone nodded their heads in unison. 

Finally I make it toward the dining room, where food was already being served. Mother and father were quietly consuming their breakfast, with my little brother Nicholas sitting on my mother's lap. I take the act in saying good morning to my parents. They do not respond leaving a thick awkward atmosphere, I proceed to transfer myself to the table. Father breaks the silence and starts to talk about yesterday's unfolded events.

Authors notes: It's going to be Adam's point of view for awhile throughout the story, but the reader will eventually come into play.   :)