Ch. 14: Letting Go Of Needles

Warning: mature language, and gore ⚠️ 

Narrator's (POV): Adam lays on the ground shivering, letting his dreams consume him. What was his dream you might ask? Let's take a look into the boy's tormented soul.....

Adam stood in a dark abyss. He looks around trying to find anything that seems familiar. Suddenly Adam sees his little brother Nicholas whispering something into Mr. Brosnan's ear. Adam's face contorts into one of confusion. Nicholas turns around to look at Adam, but instead of Nicholas eyes glaring at him, his eyes were hollow and dark, Mr. Brosnan turns around and his eyes were the same way. Adam gasp, moving back from the figures who were supposedly his family. Nicholas giggles and then turns to his father, whispering something into the man's ear. Mr. Brosnan then slowly steps towards Adam.

"W-wait, father, I didn't mean to! It won't happen again! I promise!" Adam protest.

"Men don't whimper." Mr. Brosnan says in a malicious tone.

Mr. Brosnan grabs Adam's hair and lifts his head up, keeping Adam on his toes cause of his strong, painful grip. Adam could feel his scalp throb because of the way his hair was being pulled. The boy holds on to the man's hand digging his nails into his hand to try to get a reaction out of him so he would let him go, but the man wouldn't budge. Adam's teeth grind together, heaving out unsteady breaths. 

 "I'll just borrow that other eye of yours." Mr. Brosnan lifts his other hand and slowly reaches for the boys face.

Then Adam thinks to himself this is just a dream. He could fight this. 

"No!" 

"Hmm?" Mr. Brosnan questions, seeing if Adam was really challenging his authority.

"I said, stop it assh*le!" Adam yells completely furious, he then proceeds to kick the man in the groin.

The man surprisingly let go of Adam, kneeling over, holding onto his crotch in pain. I guess anything would react to being inflicted in such a sensitive area. The boy runs away from the man as he tries to catch up with him, but fails, much to Adam's pleasure of course. 

As he keeps running he sees a figure up ahead on the ground. It was very faint, cause of the darkness surrounding him, but he could tell it was a female. Eventually when he got closer to the person he realized it was Ava, she was in terrible shape, with tattered clothes and swollen bruises all over her body. The poor woman could barely open her eyes to look up at Adam, but she knew the child's presence, all those years she spent with him, nursing him when he was sick, motivating him when he wanted to give up. Giving him advice and love. How could she forget. This might just be a dream, but the essence of a true mother never vanish.

"A-Ava? W-Who would.....do this to you?" Adam says in a soft, hurt tone. Sitting beside her, holding her close to his chest. His lips tremble, he closes his eye, trying his best to hold back tears.

"Adam,......my child, it will be okay. Don't worry about me..... Get out of here." Ava says in a croaked voice, almost as if she has been screaming for hours.

"I can't leave you here l-like this. Please just tell me who did this to you? If I can't protect you then what am I?" Adam questions.

"Listen to me Adam. This is all just a delusion.....a nightmare. Whatever happens to me, keep yourself calm okay......don't let it take over y......"

"What does that mean? Ava? Ava!" Adam begins to worry as the woman slips into unconsciousness.

"My, my, what has you so troubled Adam? A familiar female voice says in a mischievous tone."