Fade away(the great escape)

You heard sloshing of water, left then right then left again, like someone was walking... it echoed too.
You couldn't open your eyes, it hurt too much but you felt two arms holding you up and couldn't remember where you were.
"Wha eh where am—"
"Love you're awake!" Your slurred words were interrupted and a kiss was placed on your forehead.
You finally opened them to see him... graham, your boyfriend.
"What happened?" you lifted your head and looked around... your speech was still slurred.
"Woah, easy!" He pulled you closer to him.
Water was right below his hips which explained why your feet were cold.
"You took quite a blow back there" he examined your head.
"Where is everyone?" You mumbled as you wrapped your arms around his neck.
"They all escaped I guess, I waited for you to wake up but at some point the doors got blocked so I thought I should start moving" he explained.

"I slipped down the stairs" you had a sudden moment of realization.
"I'm so glad you're remembering" he kissed your head again and you tried not to wince. It was the most painful thing but you really didn't want him to stop.
You kissed him back on his cheek and trailed down his neck.
"Thank you so much babe, you are everything to me" you hummed as you rested your head on his shoulder.
"I love you" he squeezed your leg.

"So I don't suppose you have any pain killers on you?" You joked.
"Back pocket" he laughed
"Wait for real?" You perked up and laughed, he just nodded in response.
You kissed his lips before grabbing them.
It was a foil package with 2 aspirin in it and you took them both before cupping your hand and scooping some water.

"Gross! You know where that waters been?" Graham face twisted.
"It's clean water, look at the color, doesn't have a sheen on it" You laughed.
"Oh, sorry then" he raised an eyebrow.
"You should put me down, we'll move faster" You tapped his arm.

"Not after you took a fall like that" he shook his head and his grip remained.
"No really graham, I don't want you to get tired out" you begged.

"Only if you promise me you'll tell me when you can't walk?" His brown puppy eyes looked straight into yours.
He was the sweetest and cared way too much about you.
"Of course" you kissed his nose.
He slowly released you and placed you down in the water.
It was now at his hips and being that he was a few inches taller the water was higher on you.

You started to remember the chain of events with more detail now which made the subway almost silent for quite a while.

"Turn left" his monotone voice knocked you out of your thoughts.

"How do you know?"

"I don't... if I did we'd be out"

"How 'bout we split up, I go right, you left" you suggested and you knew now he still wanted you unconscious, in his arms, safe.
"Yeah like that ever works" he laughed.
"Ok then I'll walk down there, see if there's anything then come back and after you do the same" You persisted.

"The water is rising, we don't have time for that" he crossed his arms then continued to the left... you had no choice, there could be an exit to the right.

You tried to hurry as you treaded through the water hoping you could catch up with graham after.

It was a lot scarier when you were alone but that was like most things without graham, he made you feel safe.

"Dead end" a voice behind you echoed making you thrash in the water.

"Christ gra, You scared me half to death" you clutched your chest.