Chapter 86: Labor

Cristy Fox and Dylan O'Brien are parents now! We invited them over to talk about what it feels like to give birth and to get to be a parent

Cristy Fox and Dylan O'Brien are parents now! We invited them over to talk about what it feels like to give birth and to get to be a parent. How does O'Fox manage to maintain a healthy relationship for their daughter? O'Fox is answering all of your questions today!

Hello! It's been ages since we've had you both here with us! How are you doing? And how's the baby?
Dylan: We're fine thank you very much and so is our baby girl Tessa!
Cristy: This is our third time together i think here? I can't remember!

So, Cristy, how does giving birth feel like?
Cristy: It was much more painful than I had imagined it would be. I was first told it would feel like very bad menstrual cramps but that's not what it felt like to me. It was much more intense and it was almost all in my lower back. It was kind of like the muscles inside were slowly twisting harder and harder until it became almost beyond endurance, and then it would kinda subside. But overall, it felt amazing. It was such a great pregnancy and a great childbirth and i would do it all again if i had the chance to.

Dylan how was it like to watch your girlfriend give birth?
Dylan: I was kinda worried that watching my girlfriend give birth would change the way I saw her. It did, but in the best way possible. Watching your partner bring a new life, particularly one you're at least partly responsible for, into the world is one of the best experiences you'll ever have. No one should miss it.
Cristy: It was too painful for me to even think about how Dylan felt during the whole operation. I was too focused on listening to what the midwives were telling me. He was holding my hand throughout the entire thing. He never let go of it. And it was reassuring in a way i lack the words to describe. It was perfect.

Dylan, do you think watching Cristy give birth was also one of your worst experiences ever?
Dylan: Yes. But in a completely different way. Cristy was the one suffering and that's what made the experience intensely painful for me. So much so that after the birth of our first, I was like "We'll never ever have another one" because I couldn't go through seeing the woman I love in so much agony once again.

And were you serious? Now that your child is born, would you do it again?
Dylan: Absolutely. Suddenly after all that suffering, she was there, and something broke inside me.
Cristy: Yeah i do remember you weeping uncontrollably.
Dylan: I was! It was like the way you do when someone close to you dies, but with the opposite emotion. It was an indescribable joy that i'd never known before, that moment felt like a miracle.
Cristy: People say the bond of love you feel for you child can take time to kick in, particularly for fathers, but Dylan's was instant and so was mine. The minute i saw my baby girl, i started crying, it was such a beautiful and crazy day for me. Oh and especially when i held her in my arms for the first time, or when i breastfed her for the first time...she's so tiny and beautiful.

Can we see a picture of her?
Dylan: Well Cristy and i agreed on something important, that we wouldn't expose our daughter to criticism.
Cristy: Not now. In a few months maybe.